"Please forgive me, Danielle,"

"Still the same snobbish unnerving man you are Janson," Danielle answered back repulsively. "I'm quite surprised WICKED allows you to be its highest-ranking official,"

"Well...someone's got to do something to help this planet whilst you remain here cowering from the rest of the world,"

"Give your mouth shut or I give you a well-deserved whooping for talking to my wife that way," Stephen warned.

Janson tried to say something back but Ava Paige silenced him with a firm face. "Very well. We will leave. But don't think we won't be back to ask again Stephen. Reconsider,"

She turned and she and Janson left through the door.

Stephen Jr. and Daniel were paralysed by their mother's reaction to that creepy man in their apartment.

Danielle sniffled a bit and Stephen held her close. Danielle's eyes caught a glimpse of the boys still standing behind the door and she stepped forward.

The boys stood back into their room; afraid they were going to get into trouble.

"Mum...dad...are we in trouble?" Stephen asked nervously.

"Of course not darling," Danielle promised bending down to hug him.

"That man...he was so scary," Daniel looked pale like he had just seen a ghost.

"Don't worry my little chap. You've nothing to be worried about," Stephen knelt and gave his son a well-needed hug.

"S.J. kept me safe. He held my hand the entire time,"

"Good on him," Stephen Sr. praised.

"Dad...what were they doing here? What's WICKED?"

"You don't to concern yourself with that my boy. They won't come for any time soon,"

"But that woman..."

"If she thinks she can just ask me to ditch you guys for work then she's quite mistaken,"

"You promise?"

"I promise," Stephen smiled proudly. He pulled back and offered his pinkie finger. "Pinkie promise?"

"Pinkie promise," Daniel sealed it.

Danielle who was hugging S.J. kissed him. "Promise me this S.J. that no matter what may happen to me or your father in the future, you and Daniel will take care of each other. No matter what,"

"I will mum," her son promised. "And I'll protect you too,"

"You don't need to concern yourself with me, darling,"

"You're the best mother in the whole world,"

Danielle was beyond heart-struck, her fear of Janson seconds ago dissolving away. "And you and Daniel are the best boys anyone can have,"

The parents tucked their boys back into bed and kissed their heads. As they closed the doors, their temporal loving smiles dropped. They became worried and tense.

"I cannot leave you guys," Stephen sighed. "I don't want to. Whatever happens, when the scorch reaches America, I cannot bear to leave you all in your time of need,"

"Stephen...you are the best doctor in the city. You know you'll be needed at WICKED soon,"

"I don't trust their intentions. They've been hard on our resources and hundreds of people since the world became a scorched plane. And I made promised D.J. I wouldn't leave us,"

"You know you might not have a choice,"

Stephen sighed. A wedge grew in his heart as the pressure for survival weighed on his shoulders like the entire world or what was left of it was resting on his shoulders.