[53] The Time That Was Lost

3 APRIL, 2014

ASTRID

At dawn, Astrid went for a run. It was not her idea.

She stopped to catch her breath at the Jefferson Memorial until she felt ready enough to tighten her ponytail and set off once more. With each inhale of the mild air, Astrid cursed Natasha Romanoff, then resumed her run.

"Why can't you go?" she had grumbled, face-down in her pillow.

Natasha had patted Astrid's cheek and then tossed the blanket off her, balling it up just to throw it back in Astrid's face. "Because I still have a job, prima donna."

Astrid had tossed the blanket right back. "Ouch."

"Next time I invite you for a sleepover, don't pair wine with Titanic," Natasha had said. "Your face is splotchy. A run will do wonders for you."

Astrid had groaned when she sat up on the couch, holding her throbbing head. "It's five in the morning. You're such a freak."

Natasha had hummed in agreement. "And hungry, too. Feel like picking up breakfast?"

Astrid ran another mile before she decided enough was enough. Her armpits were pooling under her sweatshirt and her legs had begun to sprout goosebumps in the brisk breeze. She fixed her hair again-it had gotten too long, but she didn't trust Natasha with her scissors-and crossed the street.

She didn't make it far before her body slammed into another body coming in fast from her left. Astrid yelped, and the man steadied her by the shoulders. "Damn," he said, letting go right away so they could both catch their breath, "I usually don't sweep girls off their feet like this."

He had dark skin, a pair of amused brown eyes, and looked a lot less sweaty than she felt. "I'm sorry," she said, blowing flyaway hairs out of her face. "I'm on the lookout for coffee, and I got tunnel vision. Gotta say, though, you're pretty good at the whole sweeping thing."

He laughed, stretching out his back. "I figured I was due for a break, anyway. This dude keeps lapping me. Shit really bruises a man's ego."

"I'm Astrid," she said. "I don't think I could possibly lap you."

He shook her hand. "Sam Wilson. You from around here?"

She smiled. "Depends on what you want to do with that information."

"All right," said Sam. "I'm guessing WITSEC. Astrid your real name?"

"Is Sam yours?"

"The girls I knock over are usually more forthcoming," he said. "Probably insurance reasons, right?"

"Right," said Astrid. "I'd invite you to join me for another lap, but I could really use breakfast."

"Weird," said Sam, "I was just about to say the same thing."

They found a café serving coffee and sandwiches. Sam paid for her breakfast and Astrid paid for his. "Tell me," he said, holding open the door for her, "how long have you been living here?"

Astrid raised a brow. "How do you know I moved here?"

They stepped out onto the sidewalk and headed back toward Natasha's place. "Aw, c'mon," said Sam. "I can hear the New York in you. I've been lots of places."

"Work reasons?"

"You could say that," he replied. "I typically stay in one spot these days, though. Lots of time to make up for."

She nudged him with her elbow. "Thank you for your service."

Sam let out a rough laugh. "You're pretty good."