Prologue: First Impressions

Amber's POV

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" I said to the person who bumped into me and began walking away as if he had not just mixed up my report, which I spent my whole weekend on, by the way, scattered all around the hallway floors. I let out a scoff with irritation evident as I looked around me. "You're kidding me."

The guy's footsteps halted as he looked back at me with an indifference that already began to irk me. "Not my fault you're vertically challenged. I couldn't see you." He said in a deep tone that may have sent a woman to her knees, but would only irk me further. I raised my eyebrow at his audacity to insult me when he was the one at fault here. The nerve he has? 

Normally, an average-height person would be used to hearing remarks about being short. If anything, however, I am not short. Almost stomping in frustration, I stepped slightly towards him, still keeping a distance, ready to give him a piece of my mind.

"Respected sir," Not so respected. "I would appreciate it if you'd have the decency not to point out a woman's height. Besides that, I don't think I have the time to hear your petty remarks. The least you could've done is apologize for I don't know, disorganizing a weekend's worth of work, but I can tell you were too focused on your second-handed shoes that your optic nerves wouldn't notice the people around you who are actually in a hurry." I finished with a breath.

I glared at the guy in front of me, whose lips lifted an inch in bitter amusement at my words. It frustrated me that I was the only one bothered by this situation. 

Maybe it was the lack of sleep, Amber. Stop taking it out on the poor guy. I scoffed at my subconsciousness. Poor guy, my ass. 

 "Optic nerves, hm?" He asked with a raised brow and a tone filled with mockery. I watched as he stepped closer and in instinct, I stepped back, only realizing now how little his height made me feel. I hated feeling humbled. He stopped, inches close to me, almost catching me off guard with his scent.

He smelled like sandalwood and mint. He had eyes so blue it matched the ocean and the sky. He had defined features that made me wonder how good looking his parents must've been. I stood in my place, having to crane my neck to look at him, but I did so, nonetheless, not wanting to show him I was intimidated.

After what seemed like an eternity, he finally spoke in a low voice, looking down at me. "I'm flattered you notice me adoring my shoes, but trust me when, I say, I don't give a fuck, pancake." An inch of a smirk set on his face before he turned around and began walking away, intentionally messing up the papers on the floor even more. This motherf-

"Asshole!" I yelled as I saw him walking away. With a huff, I began picking up the scattered papers wondering what I did that made my day go this bad. There were shoeprints on the reports, for goodness' sake! 
_______________

After some time, I finally organized the papers according to how I needed them. Was it worth the pain from squatting for so long trying to fix it? I don't know anymore. I desperately needed a cup of coffee.

I stood up, fixing myself and recollected my thoughts, calming myself down after what happened with that arrogant asshole. I never saw that guy around, though. Neither did I know the reason he'd acted like a prick. 

My train of thought was interrupted by Eva's, my best friend's, voice as she approached me with two coffee cups in her hands. "I honestly am not going to ask you what caused your mood to go bitter, but I'm right here if you wanna scream." She started.

I let out a sigh. "Is it that obvious?" I asked, not wanting it to ruin my day. I didn't even know if my professor was going to accept those papers anymore. 

"Relax, love. Here," She handed me the cup of coffee, french vanilla, in her hand. "I know you need this." People may argue that french vanilla is too sweet, but I'd be sitting in the corner finishing every cup of it while they'd be crying over it.

"Did I ever tell you how much I love you?" I took the coffee from her hands like it was some treasure as I spoke. She chuckled, shaking her head as she took a sip from her cup. "Anyways, I wanted to tell you. We have a transfer student." She said as we began walking.

"Transfer student? Which year?" I asked, suddenly intrigued. We rarely had transfer students here.

"Final year. Same batch as us." She said after taking another sip of her regular americano.

"That's odd. I didn't know this university allowed last year transfers." I shrugged, wondering how this person managed to get into this college, considering it's their last year. "Bachelor's?"

"Yeah."

"Interesting."

"That's not the point. He's already some eye-candy around campus. It's only been a few hours since he showed up, and girls are dying over his looks. I won't be surprised if one of them claims to be his girlfriend tomorrow." She rolled her eyes and took another sip. I stared at her, going into thought. Those thoughts drifting to a certain blue. Was he the transfer student? If he was, god help me.

"Do you think he's good looking?" I asked after jumping out of my thoughts.

"Well.." She trailed off and I looked her, truly in disbelief.

I widened my eyes. Just who was he? "Is he thaat good looking? Cause coming from you, who believes dreamy men only exist in books, thinking that way is mind blowing." I said, chuckled, not caring much either way.

"I'm sorry but he actually does look pretty hot." She sheepishly smiled. I nudged her playfully.

"Get a grip, Lowry!"

"Ok fine I'm sorry. I forgot to tell you his na-"

I cut her off. "Eva, I genuinely don't care about his name and neither do I think I'll have the 'fortune' of coming across him."

"Ace Woods", she finished her sentence with a smile, ignoring what I said. I let out a sigh and shook my head. That's Eva for you.

"Eva.."

"Wait, actually it's Ace William Woods." She snickered. Bewildered, I blankly stared at her now.

"Eva. Class."

"Right. I know you love me too." She said and started walking away to her class, her cup in her hand and her bag on her shoulder. I had a smile on my face, she did know how to cheer me up or bring me out of a bitter mood.

But then she spoke. "Don't let Ace ruin your day, babe!" My smile faltered for a second.

Wait what?