Chapter (42): Four weeks in the forest

Start from the beginning

For the time being, he used the scraps of clothes that couldn't be turned to bandages, some grass and vines he found around the cave to craft a makeshift bed. Then, he lay down Xie Lian and Hua Cheng. Afterwards, he took off his own robe and covered them with it. It was a bit small so he had to place the two as close as possible, until Hua Cheng was practically sleeping in Xie Lian's embrace, who was lying on his front due to the injuries on his back. That night, Wei Ying stayed up beside the two, occasionally cooling down Xie Lian's heating forehead with a wet cloth. Wei Ying didn't know how to take care of Hua Cheng, so he could only make sure that he was lying down comfortably. For the whole night, Wei Ying looked after his parents sleeplessly.

The next morning came. After making sure he prepared some drinking water beside the bed, Wei Ying took off again, this time to find food and medicine or preferably a village of humans.

Wei Ying walked through the thick forest, climbed over high mountains, jumped from one branch to another and crossed many streams. Wei Ying ate some fruits he found on the way and stored some in his pouch for later. After wandering for about four to five hours, he finally spotted a village in the distance. He felt overjoyed and thus, he rushed there.

In the village, many looked at Wei Ying with curious eyes. The young boy was handsome with round eyes and bright skin, indeed. However, there were branches in his hair and he was only wearing an inner robe, and that robe was covered in dirt and dust. The boy's right arm was wrapped thickly with a bandage and he was walking barefoot. The villagers looked pitifully at the dirty little boy and shook their heads while sighing to themselves, thinking 'The world is indeed cruel; such young men having to live like beggars.'

Wei Ying didn't mind the villagers' pity at all. In fact, he was pretending to look like a beggar to disguise himself anyway so the pity was put to good use. He bought the necessary medicine, bandages, rice and some quilts. The villagers assumed that he must be a son taking care of his sick parents, and sold the stuff with a heavy smile on their faces. Wei Ying, however, only smiled brightly back at the villagers and soon enough, the villagers became fond of the lively Wei Ying.

It took at least two hours to travel to and fro between the village and the cave as one had to go over mountains and thick forest paths. If they were not careful, they would get lost in the big forest. Even Wei Ying almost lost his way several times. If it were not for Ruoye guiding him through the vast woods by pulling his arm in the right direction, Wei Ying would've gotten lost.

Using the medicine which he got back at the village, Wei Ying continued to care for Xie Lian's wounds. The wounds were devastating. But since Xie Lian was an immortal god, his recoveries were indeed quick and in just three days he awoke. Xie Lian was glad to see Wei Ying safe, and he showered the young boy in praise to show his gratitude for taking care of them. He felt so proud as the boy's parent. However, when Xie Lian saw Hua Cheng lying motionlessly beside him in the cold body of a five or six years old, his heart sank instantly. He hugged the cold child and tried to give him the little spiritual power he had. However, it was fruitless. All he learnt was that it would take long before Hua Cheng would wake again. And if their enemies appeared before them, it would be quite difficult for him to protect the unconscious Hua Cheng and Wei Ying at the same time. Wei Ying saw the expression on Xie Lian's face, and he reassured with resolve,

"Don't worry, Baba. I'll protect you both. This cave is very hidden, so no one would be able to find us."

Xie Lian saw the bright smile on Wei Ying and pulled him in for a hug.

"I'm already very glad knowing that you're safe. Don't push yourself too hard, and be careful when you go out. The two of us are counting you." Xie Lian said softly with a smile.