PART 6: From Neverland to Wonderland

Start from the beginning

"You have only known me for a couple of weeks Ash... And people's imagination just goes wild and-"

I cut her off by running my index finger across her pink full lips.

"I would never think you're crazy. Ever. Now, do you wanna tell me about it?" I asked and she sadly nodded.

I pulled both myself and her closer to the radiator and she rested her head on my shoulder as I wrapped my arms around her.

"It's my father," she trailed off.

Ok... WHAT?

"Your father?!"

"Yes. As long as I can remember myself, he has been beating me..." she said with pure disgust in her tone.

"Why?" I stupidly asked.

"I don't know," she responded coldly.

Something wet landed on my forearm and I realized she was crying again...

"I hate him Asher," she whispered.

"There is nothing wrong with it baby girl," I said and then sighed in relief when I realized she didn't notice me calling her 'baby girl'.

You are an idiot Asher! I scolded myself

What? Yes, I liked her, so? I have only met her 10 days ago but it didn't matter. I found her intriguing ever since I saw her and after having her sobbing in my arms, I had to admit that I had started falling for her. And hard. It's not like it's impossible to fall for somebody that nice within a few days. I didn't believe in love at first sight cause it's not love. It's admiration for someone's good looks. However, Ali and I grew really close these days so...

I couldn't say anything, though. I wanted her to feel comfortable and secure with me and then, depending on how it went, I would talk to her.

AVERY'S POV

I was really upset thinking about how much I hated my father and how much not normal this was until I heard it...

"There is nothing wrong with it baby girl"

Baby girl?

I cracked a tearful smile. I knew it was a friendly "baby girl" but it still made me smile. I didn't let him see me, though. I pretended I didn't hear it but deep inside something told me there was something more than friendship here. I could feel it. Even though I couldn't put my finger on what it was, denying that my stomach flipped every time he hugged me, was pointless. I couldn't ask someone to handle me, though. I was complicated, insecure, torn apart and Asher had nothing to do with it. He was an amazing friend and even though I had met him only a week ago or so, I knew he was decided to stay by my sight which I was grateful for.

"Asher?" I asked.

"Mhmm?" he mumbled.

"Is it ok if I skip school today?"

"Only if you take me with you."

I smiled again. Secretly.

"Okay, that would be nice, boyfriend," I said and he chuckled.

"Let's go girlfriend."

He stood up and helped me up. He offered me a smile which I returned. It would be better if I tried to get my little crush out of my mind and concentrate on building a healthy friendship with Asher.

We got into his car and he drove out of the parking lot.

"Where to my lady?" he asked faking a British accent which actually suited him perfectly.