Chapter Twelve

"People are really romantic about the beginnings of things. Fresh start, clean slate, a world of possibility. But no matter what new adventure you're embarking on, you're still you. You bring you into every new beginning in your life. So how different can it possibly be? It's all anybody wants, right? Clean slate, a new beginning. Like that's gonna be any easier. Ask the guy pushing the boulder up the hill. Nothing is easy about starting over. Nothing at all" 

"and i'm all loved up in a world i can't explain"

Meredith, Lucy and Cristina were walking down the halls of the hospital. "Try again. Could be a false negative. I took like five", Lucy said. "Yeah, maybe you tried too early,'' Cristina added. "What is it, day ten?" "Yeah", Meredith replied. "Totally early. Pee on a bunch of different sticks. Don't let the one stick win", Lucy said.

"It's a scientific test. I hardly think I can bend it to my will"

"I'm doing three surgeries today, did four yesterday. I'm unstoppable", Cristina bragged. "And you got defeated by a piece of plastic covered in urine? Buck up". They started making their way to the nurses station when Alex, Jackson and April joined them. "What is this, everybody got paged?" Jackson asked. "It's that time of year again", Alex stated. "The chicks have hatched". "Is that some sort of code?" April asked.

"Those chicks"

They had made it to the nurses station where med students were waiting with Richard and the other residents. "First year med students. Too dumb to find the toilet", Lucy remarked. "Good morning. Behind me stand the interns and residents of tomorrow", Richard said. "Today, you will show them what it's like to be a surgeon. When you go into surgery, they go into surgery. When they have a question, you will answer". "It's like court-ordered community service", Lucy commented. "I'd rather be picking up trash off the side of the highway", Cristina added. "Fred Wilson, you're with Dr Yang", Beck said. "Kira Donnelley, with Dr Grey", Aurora said. "Hudson Powell, with Dr Kepner", Kelly said. "Laurel Pinson, you're with Dr Karev", Kelly continued. "Bella Wilson, you're with Dr Shepherd", Beck said. "And Dr Avery, you have...Edward Taylor". The residents continued assigning med students as the other residents met theirs. Jackson looked disappointed as a short, stumpy guy with a beard approached him. Beck smirked at him and he rolled his eyes. "I will be picking my chief resident in a few months", Richard announced. "The race for chief resident is on?" Meredith asked. "Since when?" Lucy added. "How long have you been evaluating us?" April said. "Since your first day here", Richard replied.

Jackson, Edward, Lucy and Bella joined Owen and Callie in the ambulance bay. The ambulance arrived. "Brady Sullivan, 32, stable vital signs, complains of neck and back pain, possible crush injuries", the paramedic explained. "He was trampled by a horse". "Horse?" Lucy questioned. A man in a tuxedo got out of the ambulance with the stretcher looking worried. "A team of horses. Like, three horses, if that helps you", he said. "Please, don't let him die on our wedding day".

Brady groaned in pain as they tried to treat him in a trauma room. "Push five of morphine", Owen said. "We were going downtown this morning to sign our domestic partnership papers", Brady's fiance explained. "A lot of bruising here", Owen said.

"I had a horse-drawn carriage to pick us up from City Hall. And bagpipes, because Brady is Scottish and he really likes being Scottish".

"I feel tenderness in C6. We'll need X-Ray in here stat", Lucy said.

"Brady, I'm so sorry. The bagpipes started up, and they spooked the horses and they ran..."

"Over me! They all ran over me, Kyle!" Brady exclaimed. "Bagpipes?" "Exam shows weakness in lower extremities, got diminished reflexes", Jackson said. Bella stood in the corner watching silently. Edward was in the way as Callie and Lucy tried to check the feet. "Move. I can't work", Callie snapped. "Dude!" Jackson said. "Sorry. Sorry", Edward apologised, joining Bella in the corner. "I agreed to the tuxes, but horses?" Brady said. "It was supposed to be a surprise", Kyle argued.