Chapter One

"Every cell in the human body regenerates on average every seven years. Like snakes, in our own way we shed our skin. Biologically we are brand new people. We may look the same, we probably do, the change isn't visible at least not in most of us, but we are all changed completely forever. When we say things like "People don't change" it drives scientists crazy. Because change is literally the only constant in all of science. Energy, matter, it's always changing. Morphing. Merging. Growing. Dying. It's the way people try not to change that's unnatural. The way we cling to what things were instead of letting them be what they are. The way we cling to old memories instead of forming new ones. The way we insist on believing, despite every scientific indication, that anything in this lifetime is permanent. Change is constant. How we experience change, that's up to us. It can feel like death, or it can feel like a second chance at life. If we open our fingers, loosen our grips, go with it, it can feel like pure adrenaline. Like at any moment we can have another chance at life. Like at any moment, we can be born all over again" 

"sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough. i don't know why"

Meredith and Derek got out of the elevator and fell into step with Cristina and Lucy. "Derek got arrested again", Meredith stated. "Reckless endangerment". "How have you not lost your licence yet?" Lucy asked.

"Oh, he won't because they don't charge him because the cops worship him"

"Because I saved some of their lives", Derek said. "You're too privileged for your own good", Lucy said.

Aurora, Beck and Kelly were leaning against the nurses station, looking through a bridal magazine. "Alright, out with it, what are we picking?" Beck said. "Right now, I'm looking at dresses", Aurora replied. "I'm thinking a nice ivory. No veil. Something simple. No big venue. No big spectacle. Simple. Meredith offered up her house. After everything that's happened, I think I need simple. Kelly, what do you think?" Kelly snapped out of her daze. "Huh? Yeah, sounds good", she said. Aurora and Beck shared concerned looks.

The doctors were gathered in the main area of the hospital when Derek entered with April and they all applauded. "Thank you all very much", Derek said. "First of all, I'd like to thank Dr Webber for stepping up in my absence. Thank you. I'm grateful for all of you, for all of your support during my recovery. Thank you. It's just so great to be back as chief. I'm grateful for the... I'm sorry. That's a lie. It's what people say and the truth is...I hate being chief. I hate it. Chief Webber. Chief Webber is our chief. And I'm sorry, but this giant... Sorry, I've got to go look at this chordoma. I'm sorry, but...I quit". Everyone looked shocked but Bailey started laughing.

Lucy was with Alex as Teddy checked his bullet wound. "How is it?" Lucy asked. "The bullet's at the surface. That's good. I can take it out now", Teddy replied.

"Oh, that's great"

"No, I mean, if it's not infected, I'm gonna keep it", Alex said.

"What are you talking about?"

"It's my war wound"

"Your war wound?"

"I just wanna keep it, ok?"

He got up and left. Lucy sighed. "Give him time, he'll come around", Teddy reassured.

"Yeah"

Beck was with Dr Perkins. "So, did you hear about the wedding?" she asked him.

"I did"

"Cool. Did you hear Dr Shepherd isn't anymore?"

"And how are you, Dr Jacobs"

"We don't need to talk about me. I got shot, I was sad. Now I'm not. The end"

"Don't you think there is a little more to it than that?"