1.8

"e- emma..?"

mikey stuttered out her name, fear starting to take over his expression when he saw her there on the ground, limp.

her face was pale- as pale as his current complexion now that he saw her situation. eyes dilated from mikey seeing her, she pursed her lips into a thin line with tears brimming her eyes.

the girl shakily breathed in, clutching the front of her shirt trying to stop her quivering state. a lump was starting to form on her throat that she made no move to gulp it down.

"..m-mikey.."

emma called out her half-brother's name, slowly taking steps towards him. mikey was just standing there, too perplexed to do anything.

"i.. i'm going to die soon, mikey.." breathing that out, she clasped her hands on his shoulder. she was scared, she really was going to die. and right in front of her brother too.

mikey blinked several times, trying to laugh what she said off with a grin, "what are you talking about? haha, you're going to live! you're not going to die.."

"but.." she hesitantly looked at his eyes, her lower lip trembling making her struggle to form words, "..i- i'm bleeding..!"

"i can see that, but you're not going to die! ..right?"

"i.. i don't know! i'm scared, i'm still ten! i- i can't die just yet, i'm too young to die.." salty tears finally started to drip down from her eyes to her chin. she held his shoulders tight, as if fearing that if she lets him go, she'll die instantly.

mikey stared at her with an unbelievable expression. he wryly chuckled, "y- you're not going to die! you can't j-"

the door flew open.

after opening the bathroom door, shinichiro leaned on the doorframe with his arms crossed infront of his chest. he had an arched brow, staring at mikey and not at emma.

"what's this about 'you can't die' i've been hearing that for a full minute now." he asked, eyes holding a confused gaze targetted towards mikey.

the boy suddenly pushed emma towards the adult.

"emma is dying, shinichiro!!"

"huh? what do you mean-" oh.

he saw the blood stains in emma's skirt.

shinichiro gasped.

"holy shit--! emma, you're dying!?"

"i am!" she sobbed.

"oh god- oh no, let's go to the hospital already!"

he grabbed her wrist and ran outside the sano household. not seeing the eldest sano, grandpa sano, looking at them with a brow raised too.

"hurry, shinichiro!" mikey urged, running after the two. sweat was dripping down his temple with his eyes dilated, "if you continue being a slowpoke, emma is-"

"emma is what?" grandpa sano asked.

"e-emma is going to.. she's going to heaven!"

"huh?" the grandpa blink, "wait, what!?"

"she's dying, old man!" shinichiro screamed, "look at her!"

the oldest sano hastily turned to a crying emma. she was pale, as pale as a vampire. and she had her skirt stained with blood.

a vein popped on his head.

grandpa sano chopped the top of mikey and shinichiro's head, irritation clear in his expression while glaring at them.