Chapter 5: Meet the Davenports

Start from the beginning

The relatives go out to the backyard. They seat themselves near the fire pit as they tell stories and laugh. Victoria finally feels at peace. Away from her problems and focused on spending the time she missed with her family.

"Veronica, how did Allister die? You forgot to tell us what the doctor said." Tamika says

"Well, they said he had a heart attack. They wanted to keep him on life support but I told them to pull the goddamn plug." Veronica says smiling as she sips her drink.

"He had it coming. Always be nice to your family, because they will be in charge of your wheelchair. Or in this case, your life." Vixen laughs.

"Exactly what grandmother Rose use to say. But at least she had more heart than her son" Raymon says

"He was money hungry. He didn't really care for family. He thought they got in the way of his happiness." Victoria says as she stares into the fire.

"We are finally free. And that means I'm next in line for the company." Victoria's uncle, Andrew, says.

"And you'll run it greatly. You'll be a much greater legacy." Veronica says

---------------------------------------------------------

Vixen leads Victoria to a room they use to go as kids. The attic. Always going there to get away from the world, their father and their problems. When they were teenagers, they use to take their father's bourbon and drink while talking to each other.

"So, Hudson is flirting with you? And that made Colin jealous. But he has a girlfriend? At this point, he doesn't know what he wants."

"He told me he loved me, Vixen. But I don't know. And yes, Hudson was flirting with me but I don't like him like that." Victoria says as she hands her brother the bottle.

"Well, you two did break up. But if he loves you, he would break up with his girlfriend. But give it time. And the reason why he's lashing out, is projecting the fact he can't have you." Vixen says as he lights up his cigarette.

"You know what I don't get? Why dad was such an asshole and a shitty father all these years. Especially when he made me move away." Victoria says as she stares at the bottle she's holding.

"Like you said, he thought we were holding him back. Besides, your back now. That's all that matters. We don't have to worry about him anymore." Vixen holds Victoria's hand and she lays her head on his shoulder.

"Has anyone told you that you are a great brother?" Victoria jokes

"Many people have. You and mom." Vixen chuckles as he hugs his younger sister tight.

"Thank you, Vixen."

"Any day, Tori."

---------------------------------------------------------

As she walks to her loft door, she gets off the elevator to see a certain someone. Waiting. His eyes meet hers and he looks back towards the ground.

"Late night?" Colin asks

"I should ask you the same thing." Victoria says as she walks to him. "What are you doing here Colin?"

He holds out a pearl necklace. "You forgot your necklace, it fell off when you were rushing to leave. Kitty found it."

She takes the necklace from his hand. Their hands touch, their eyes meet again. She wanted to grasp his face in her hands and kiss him hard. She wanted him to reach out to her and hold her. But unfortunately, he doesn't do that. Nothing but sadness takes over her.

"Thanks. Anything else?" Victoria says trying to keep her composure.

"Not really, Goodnight Davenport." Colin says as he goes to leave.

She wanted to stop him. But she doesn't. She couldn't forget what he said. She couldn't forget how he acted. But she wanted to forget and forgive him. She wanted to be with him. In his arms. Her head laying on his chest again. His fingers running through her hair. The laughs, the smiles, the loving feeling. She wanted all that again, just like they did when they first started dating.

She wanted him back to her.

A ringing phone brings her back to reality. Colin answers and talks to the person on the end of the line.

Victoria sighs and goes to open her door. But a hand stops her. They shut the door and lock it again. Colin drags her to the elevator.

"Stefan, calm down mate. We'll be there soon." Colin says frantically as he pushes the elevator button. He hangs up the phone, his face pale.

"Colin, what's wrong? Is Stefan okay?" Victoria asks worryingly

"Stefan can't find the flash drive. The flash drive for Thakur's game idea. The one that will help raise up the company. "