Kate sulks. ‘You’re pretty shit at it, actually.’ She smiles and claps me to her. ‘But I forgive you.’

My heart breaks wide open.

‘Hey, Kate? Can I get your help a minute?’ A very dapper young man kitted out in the same get up as Kate strides over.

‘Yeah, sure. Steve, this is Julie.’

He clasps my hand. ‘Heard loads,’ he smiles wryly and turns to Kate. ‘Mr. Anderson needs his bath. And guess who he asked for?’ He squeezes Kate’s side and ducks into a store room.

That’s Steve?’ I gape.

‘Mmmmhmm,’ Kate beams. ‘I’ll see you Monday? Same bat time?’ she asks.

‘Same bat channel.’

5.00 am Monday morning comes way too soon. I fumble about in the apartment, my head five hours fuzzy, trying to remember the shape of my routine. I’m a pot of coffee and three week old papers to the good when the clock strikes seven, and it’s me firing up the subway stairs, and Kate waiting with the two steaming cups of coffee.

‘Still on Irish time?’ she laughs.

‘Oh yeah.’ I take a big glug of coffee.

‘Wait’ll you see your new office. That’ll perk you up.’ We stream through the crowd, the energy of the city seeping up through my feet. ‘You should’ve seen the look on Roger’s face when Stuart booted him!’ Kate prattles on. ‘Total diva.’

I freeze on the corner, eyes wide at a row of flashing television screens. The Aran video—my video—hops across each of them.

‘Julie?’ Kate looks over my shoulder. ‘Oh yeah, you haven’t seen that? It’s like totally viral now.’

‘Is it?’ I ask, trying to sound nonchalant.

‘Yeah. Were you near any of that?’ She nods at the protest clip.

‘Not really,’ I lie.

Tadgh swings the agency door open for us, tipping his hat to me.

‘How was your trip to the old sod?’ he asks.

‘Go hiontach!’

The elevator door slides open to the office, and there’s Roger, a crammed cardboard box in his arms.

‘Look who’s back,’ he snarls.

‘Heya, Roger,’ I smirk. ‘No hard feelings, okay?’

I stride past him to the glory that is the corner office. All of the staff are gathered beneath a ‘Welcome Back!’ banner, holding their breath.

There she is,’ Stuart cheers and pours a round of champagne. ‘To our new Creative Director!’

Tina sweeps me into the office. ‘I’ve reassigned your files to this port,’ she says, pointing at an external disk, ‘updated your client list, and rerouted your mail.’

‘Thanks for that, Tina.’ I settle slowly into the mammoth black leather chair.

‘This just came for you,’ she says and hands me a brown envelope. ‘It’s urgent.’

It’s from Cathal. I push it to the corner of my desk, just out of arm’s reach.

‘Thanks, Tina.’

I flick open my laptop. Five new clients. Better get cracking.

But the first thing I do is run a search for my video. Kate was right. It’s popping up everywhere! There’s a link to the Fair Trade Commission’s website and a petition!