Chapter 15

I wake up in stages, not even noticing the soft, rising light at the window. It’s amazing, what you can get used to in a week!

I expect the worst when I roll out of bed and into the kitchen, more revolutionist ire from Dermot and stoic grumblings from Clare, but the storm has apparently passed. The two of them moon at one another over a plate of brown bread and marmalade, Clare’s face rumpled and Dermot a tad flush.

‘Good morning,’ Dermot yodels when I step in from the hall.

Not the sort of uncomfortable welcome I was bracing for, but I’ll take it.

‘Morning.’ I nod to both of them and plant myself, back to the table, in front of the window and pour myself a mug of tea.

‘Lovely morning,’ Dermot says.

Clare arches her back, arms outstretched to the ceiling. ‘Isn’t it just?’ she says.

Okay, happy Clare is way creepier than fuming Clare. I shudder when she smiles over at me.

Cormac sidles in, texting one-handed, and chokes down two pieces of toast.

‘Cormac!’ Clare swats at him playfully.

‘Sorry, Mum!’ he hops up from the table. ‘I’ve got to go!’

‘He has a date with Ava,’ Dermot winks at Clare.

‘Dad! Gaaah!’ Cormac whines. He sulks over to me. ‘I’m taking her down the beach,’ he whispers.

‘Good luck,’ I smile.

A jeep pulls into the drive, and he flies out the door to meet it.

Is that Michael?! With all the drama last night, I’d forgotten he was coming! Again. I look down at my frumpy T-shirt and my sweats. I’m a mess! Michael steps out and unloads two bikes from the boot. He fist bumps Cormac hello and then waves toward the window. Oh GOD, can he see me?!

I whirl round to the hall. ‘Got to run, sorry!’ I yip and high tail it to Mum’s room. Where is that hoodie Cormac lent me?!

What is going on?’ Clare asks. I can hear the screech of her chair as she pushes back from the table. ‘It’s Michael,’ she says.

‘Oh yeah?’ Dermot crackles open the paper.

‘Are those bikes?’ Clare shuffles to the far window. ‘Lord save us.’ I can just hear Dermot chuckling into his mug. ‘You laugh now,’ she says in a hardened whisper. ‘If she falls for that lad, we’ll never be rid of her!’

And we’re back.

‘Go ’way, will ya,’ Dermot laughs.

Falling for Michael. Pfft.

I get ready in 4.5 minutes, a personal best, and slip outside. Michael waves to me, flashing that cheeky smile of his.

I’m not that easy.

‘Heya,’ Michael says, casual as you like, and puts a hand out.

God he is a ride!

I sidle up beside him, Clare’s eyes boring a singeing hole into my back. You want something to talk about, Auntie? I’ll give you something to talk about.

I brush his hand aside and throw an arm around his neck.

‘Morning,’ I drawl.

‘Em... Morning.’ He smirks at me sidelong. ‘Are you drunk?’