Physics can wait (HS AU)

Summary: Dean doesn't want a tutor, especially not some kid his age in a tan sweater with a tie and a freaking button-down, but his mom insisted.

+

It's not that Dean is flunking physics. He's got a steady D average, which is enough to pass, but his guidance counselor is concerned about his GPA even though Dean assured him he's not planning on college. They can't both go, and Sam deserves it. Dean doesn't want a tutor, especially not some kid his age in a tan sweater with a tie and a freaking button-down, but his mom insisted.

"I don't want to be here," Dean gripes during their first session, in the library after school on a Tuesday.

"So leave," says Castiel. That's actually his name, Castiel. He regards Dean with a stony expression.

Dean slams open his textbook and decides that Castiel is a dick.

+

So maybe he passes his next test with a C. Fine. It doesn't change the fact the Castiel is just this shy of an asshole.

"What are they paying you to be this rough on me?" Dean demands when Castiel tells him that he calculated the friction wrong, again, and demands he do it over.

"I don't get paid anything," Castiel confides.

"What? Why?"

"Is it hard to believe people do things just to be nice?"

"That hasn't been my experience."

Castiel regards him knowingly, nods and looks at his pencil. "I see," he says. "You don't think you deserve help."

"No," Dean counters. "I don't see the point. I ain't gonna be a physicist."

"I'm not," Castiel corrects.

"Ain't gonna be a writer either."

"I'm just trying to help," Castiel says. He's speaking calmly, but the frustration is plain on his face, in the way the skin bunches on his forehead.

"Can we skip to another question?" Dean suggests, and Castiel lets out a sigh.

"Fine."

+

After six weeks, Dean stops showing up for their sessions. He tucks himself away in the last row of the auditorium, slumps low in the seat and closes his eyes. He's almost asleep when someone approaches, a series of determined footsteps. They stop the row in front of him. He knows who it is without looking.

"Whaddya want, Cas?"

"Why did you miss our session today?"

"Didn't feel like it," Dean announces. He hears Cas tap his foot, imagines him with arms folded peevishly over his chest. "You better cut out that scowling. It'll give you premature wrinkles."

"You have an exam tomorrow," Cas admonishes.

"Yup."

Cas exhales in a manner that goes beyond frustrated. He's pissed, and for a brief moment, Dean wonders if he's underestimated Cas's strength, if he's in danger of getting his ass kicked by a nerd.

"Well," Cas says. "I won't stick around to watch you fail."

He storms off before Dean can think of a retort.

+

He earns a solid B on the test and lingers next to Cas's locker after first period the following Monday. Their lockers aren't far apart, just on opposite sides of the hallway from one another. He's a little surprised he never noticed Cas 'till now. Turns out, he's actually a year ahead of Dean, and they've had a couple classes together.