Chapter 23

When he had heard someone approaching his office, he thought it would be Carter or Min until the scent of honeysuckle seemed to pierce through the walls and into his senses. He knew Amara stood there for a few minutes but waited until she decided to knock of her own accord. If she had turned and left, he would have let her.

Carter had let him know he sent Amara off to bed telling her all was well so he thought he wouldn't be seeing her, much less have her in his office turning him into knots standing before him in shorts small enough to show off her elegant legs. A baggy t-shirt with fabric sheerer than he's sure she realized turned what should be a modest shirt into something oh so tempting. Then there was her long curls, a few of which clung to certain parts of her caramel skin leaving droplets of water that did unspeakable things to his sanity.

Despite that, he stayed perched upon the edge of his desk, determined not to give in and touch her in fear of losing what little composure he had around Amara. That went out the window when she made her way into his arms, holding onto his neck. If she regretted it or felt uncomfortable at his touch she didn't show it. Amara is a captivating little minx without fucking knowing it.

It became rapidly evident that he had to shift their positions not wanting to let her go yet. Amara might have been comfortable in his arms but having the evidence of what it was doing to him pressed against her was bound to be too much too fast. Whatever higher beings exist out in the universe, he prays they can make the days shorter. Amara’s birthday is in a couple of weeks but that's still a couple weeks too far away.

Then she'll finally realize their bond as mates. Until then, he won't push or pressure. She should have the chance to choose her path once it is revealed. The mere fact that her affection towards him seems to be growing even before then brings him indescribable joy and it makes him hopeful that she'll accept him as he will accept her.

Once she fell asleep he went to tuck her into bed as he had days before. The desire to slide in and sleep peacefully with his mate safely in his arms is painfully tempting but he turns and leaves her there to her quiet slumber. Things are about to get hectic and he will have to burn this moment of peace with his little wolf to get him through whatever shit storm might be headed their way. If the only thing he had to worry about was the daily ongoings of the pack and Amara then life would be so much simpler.

For now, what he needs to do is get his ass in a cold shower and get some sleep. There are many long days before them.