Twenty-Four: Let Me In

Start from the beginning

"Who the fuck are you?" he asked, squaring his shoulders. He took a step toward me, which was good since it was a step away from Collins and that much closer to the door that I intended to throw him out of. But the idea that he had the right to demand anything from me? Self-importance was rolling off this guy in waves, and it made me sick.

"Beau Martin," I said, mimicking his tone. "Of Martin Property Management." Then I added, "And I live here. You do not, so I recommend getting your ass out the door."

The penguin—Denver—snorted and threw his hands into his tuxedo pants pockets. "You can't tell me what the fuck to do."

My hands clenched into fists. I chanced a look at Collins, wondering how much this guy meant to her and how much she would care if I broke his nose. The thought made my stomach churn, though. I didn't like the idea of guys meaning shit to her. In any capacity. Did I realize that made me a jealous fuck who had no right feeling that way? Yeah, but did I care? Nope.

I couldn't read Collins' expression, though. Her wide eyes flashed between the penguin and me, her lips parted like she wanted to intervene but didn't know what to say. Shock. She was in shock.

"She was telling you to leave." A nod toward Collins. "Now leave."

Denver's expression turned stony. "We were having a conversation."

"No, you weren't." I matched his look. He wanted to see what stone looked like? I'd show him. Maybe I'd even show him how it felt, too. "You were saying the fuck goodbye is what you were doing. So, see ya. Too-da-loo, asshole."

Rolling his eyes, he walked to his coat. It was lying over the back of the kitchen stool, and my eyes dropped to the present sitting on the counter next to it. Collins' name was scribbled on the top. I felt my lip curl up.

"Martin Property Management, huh?"

At the sound of his voice, my gaze flicked up to Denver's again and narrowed. "Yeah, what's it to ya?"

He matched my stare for a long moment, looking me up and down with a scrutiny that made a chill run through me. My name must have sounded as familiar as his, and I didn't like that one bit. Suddenly, he twirled to face Collins with an intensity that had me crossing the room in alarm.

"So that's what this is, is it?" he said, eerily soft. "You don't need me because you rolled right along to find someone else's family to leech money from. What a fucking joke, Collins. You were that desperate, huh?"

I could only see the top of Collin's face, but I watched her eyebrows twist, her eyes light up with barely hidden anger.

Denver reached out toward her, grabbing her wrist, and I saw the color red close in on my vision from all sides. That was enough of that.

"Don't fucking touch her." Grabbing Denver by the collar forcefully enough that I heard him make a little choking sound of surprise, I dragged him toward the front door and thanked the heavens when he didn't actually resist because, let's be honest, dude was a hell of a lot bigger than me. "Get out. And stay the hell away from this apartment."

Denver straightened when his feet hit the porch, shrugging off my touch like I'd dirtied his suit. He rolled his eyes, looking past me to Collins, but before he could say anything, I slammed the door in his face.

Eh, on second thought...

Throwing the door open again, I threw a punch, landing it solidly on the side of Denver's face as he was in the process of turning. It threw him off balance a bit, and he careened down the front steps before landing in the front lawn, still on both of his feet, but shakily.