Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

I was summoned back to Theo's chambers again after Rara and I arrived at the palace.

I spent another two hours with Epimetheus, each time I pounded into the body that did not belong to him, I cursed his very name. If I had my god powers, it would be more than just swearing and threats. I really could curse him. As a god of vengeance, I had a lot more power behind my words than most would think.

If only I had my god powers.

And the more I thought about it, the more I was inclined to leave Styx and go to Duat, but something was holding me back. I couldn't be quite sure what it was. And what would Epimetheus do if he learned that I had gone to Duat? What could he know about me from picking at Theo's soul? Did Theo even save any information about me inside him?

That bothered me. I couldn't tell what was worse. Having Theo remember me in the pitiful state that he found me in, or having him forget me completely as if I were nothing, but another servant. Then it bothered me that it even bothered me.

Get ahold of yourself, Sept. I scolded myself. This wasn't the time for self pity or wallowing in love like a helpless romantic. I had no time to play around.

Theo's life was in dangerous and every second of every hour was becoming more and more precious.

Epimetheus finally let me go back to my chambers where I fell on the black and red silks of my bed with a heavy muffled thump, relieved to feel the sheets carassing my skin and aching muscles. I could barely move as I laid there and for a moment, I thought about fighting sleep to leave, but by the time the thought crossed my mind, my eyelids felt heavy and slowly slid shut.

As soon as they did, I was standing in the throne room of Theo's palace, the way it had been when Aria had been in charge of it. In fact, she was sitting in Theo's throne, stroking the arm rests with a faint smile across her wicked red lips. The smile shattered, though, when a terrifying sound thundered through the palace, like a pair of doors banging open.

A second later, the doors to the throne room were thrown open so hard they cracked the onyx walls and sent the drapes tumbling to the floor. In the doorway stood a sixteen-year-old version of Theo, with his blood red hair just a bit long past his shoulders, his bangs swept across his face. He wore a pair of black slacks, matching boots and a loose longsleeve shirt to match the cloak that fell around his shoulders. And his red eyes were blazing hot.

A godly power rippled from him, one that I was all too familiar with. I savored the way it filled the air with a crackling electricity, making the hairs on my arms stand on end. He curled his lip in revulsion as Aria shot to her feet from the throne, looking flabbergasted and angry.

"Theo! What the hell do you think you're--"

"Get out." Theo ordered. Aria blinked, stunned as she took a step forward, her blood red gown pooling at her feet, leading all the way up her long legs to a matching corset, her bare feet silent on the marble floor.

"What're you talking about?" She managed, looking pale. Theo narrowed his eyes and thrust his hand out toward the short hallway that led to the lobby, revealing that the main doors were being held open by a couple of servants. Even I could see the townspeople who had gathered at the base of the hill, watching and whispering excitedly.

"You heard me," Theo said past clenched teeth, eyes glowing, "Get. Out. Of. My. Home." Aria looked hesitant at first before she let her temper flare up and she glared at him, clenching her fists and stalking toward him. I almost expected him to flinch or back down, but instead, he held his head up high and glared at her. That seemed to make her slow down until she was standing a couple feet in front of her son, trying to continue her bravado.