KABANATA 04- The Beauty Goddess

Start from the beginning

“Speaking of, sana all may cutie Bodyguard!” Putol ni Bessie sa sasabihin ni Maria Gracia. Napairap ako dahil naalala ko na naman ang encounter namin sa limo.

“How did you know?” Kunot-noong tanong ko.

“From Sir Ishioka?” Inirapan ko si Bessie sa joke niya at hinarap si Maria Gracia na busy sa pagtitirintas sa mahaba niyang buhok.

Napailing siya. “Kakaiba ka Bessie, lumilinaw talaga mata mo kapag pogi no?” Napahagikhik si Bessie, hindi ko alam kung dahil ba sa sinabi ni Gracia o sa pinapanood niya.

“Last night, you were too drunk. Nakita ka namin na sakay nung bodyguard mo sa motor. Next time… be extra careful naman, Charm. Paano na lang kung napaano ka? Remember the threats?” Napahawak ako sa ulo ko sa sinabi ni Gracia. She's really getting into character. She understood better than anybody else that if bad things happened to me, it wouldn't be because of that Mafia nonsense.

Speaking of that bodyguard, even though he's the reason why I came home safely last night, I can't still have him as a bodyguard. I don't like the feeling of being watched. I fear that this is just another way for my Dad to fully control my life.

“Even so, I have to get rid of him,” determinadong sabi ko dahilan para maagaw ang atensyon ni Bessie sa pinapanood niya. Pumaling ang ulo niya habang nakatingin sa akin. May halong pagtataka sa mga mata nito.

"You know why," I replied, but I forgot that her brain occasionally malfunctions. Her thick bangs were jumbled up when she shook her head.

“Are you that determined?” Maria Gracia with concern written all over her face. She knew how much I hated being told what to do. That's why she's way too careful with the words she's choosing to say to me.

I raised my right brow in answer to her. She took a deep breath before continuing, “you know that you can't change your Dad’s mind….”

"I may not be able to persuade Dad to change his mind, but I can force my soon-to-be-ex-bodyguard to resign!" I responded, devilishly smiling while devising a cunning scheme inside my head.

I’ll torture him until he can only give up!

“Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” Bessie asked, and now her attention was completely out of her phone.

I look directly to her eyes with my infamous jaded glare. Then I lightly patted her cheek.

“Bessie, you’re into low-resolution thinking just like the video you're watching!” I told her with a smile that doesn't reach my eyes. Gracia sighed, knowing how my mind works.

“I’m thinking of skipping class! Ano, in?!” Bessie exclaimed, using her high pitch tone as her eyes became dilated, not minding what I just said. I knew it! She was thinking completely off-topic.

Gracia picked up one of her books to lightly hit Bessie with it on the head. Bessie hisses at her in dismay. “Education is important. Especially with you, Bessie!” Gracia preaches.

I took the liberty to stand up and walk out of the room without waiting for them. Alam ko naman na susunod din sila sakin sa next class namin.

Nagsimula na ang klase but Bessie and Gracia aren't here yet. That's odd, especially knowing how Gracia would never skip class even if it's the end of the world. Also, she was supposed to do my lectures.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling. I found those two less than a year ago being bullied by lots of our schoolmates because they are the weak and silent types. They'd rather chose not to speak than to stand up to their bullies. The thing I hate about them the most. 

I sighed. Tumayo ako at walang paalam na lumabas ng room. I heard our professor calling me, but I couldn’t care less.

I walked straight to the cafeteria. I haven’t been there, but I knew that that is a place where Bessie is always in whenever she skipped class.

“You can’t even call yourselves palamuti! Kasi background lang kayo in order for her beauty to stand out! She's befriending ugly people like you… someone who wouldn't even passed as her competition!” Nasa pinto palang ako ng cafeteria ay rinig ko na ang masakit sa taingang boses ni Amy. She's always been like this, always competing for attention. I could understand why though. I get envied by a lot of people because of my beauty, and she couldn't accept that she's not, and miracle couldn't do anything to her face.

Tinulak ko pabukas ang double door ng cafeteria.
When I walked in, I saw her and her three other alipores, who looked like blobfish out of the water, surrounding Bessie and Gracia.

“You don't believe me? Gracia… use your brain, huh! Go ask around!”

I stopped. Only few people were inside but enough for the whole campus to know what I’m about to say. Inanggulo ko ang sarili ko para makita at siguradong ma-capture ng isang estudyante na sikretong nagvi-video sa gilid. I can spot a camera, no matter how hidden that is. I grew up surrounded by dozens of it.

I wiped away the non-existent sweat on my forehead. The reason why I never wanted to be here is that it’s hot here. Maybe because of the kitchen fire or the aircon doesn't work. After all this cafeteria is only for people who entered the school because of charity or scholarships. Amy doesn't go here too, but here we are now.

“Of course, they won't believe you!” I shouted, then they synchronously turned their heads towards me. Bessie’s eyes twinkled as soon as she saw me.

“Especially, Gracia. She's smart, unlike you and the rest of your alipores…,” I said with a grin, and walk closer to them. “Cause… if I’m only befriending ugly people… you should've been my bestfriend!”

Bessie laughed. I can't keep my evil expression because I’m too baffled that her mind works this time. “Another milestone, Bessie! You're mind surprisingly cooperated!”

She smiled at me like some child recieving praises for the very first time in her life. I return my gaze to Amy.

“Hands off to my friends. Kung ayaw mong manghiram ng mukha sa aso,” I warned them calmly, before turning my back on them.

“C’mon! You have to take notes for me!” I yelled at Gracia while gracefully walking out.