13- Healing Wounds

Start from the beginning

"Absolutely not," I say, "just tell me where the hell we're going."

"Damn, I thought that would work. Anyway, we'll go to this place for a little bit and you know, maybe try to have some fun, then we can talk things out afterwards?" He proposes. We could use something to help clear the air... and I need something that'll maybe make my stomach stop turning and my heart stop pounding.

"Alright," I say, "let's do it."

——

"Is this- is this the arcade?"

"Is that bad?"

"No no, I just haven't been here in forever,"

"Great! Let's go," he says, exiting the car after I park. I shove my wallet and keys in my pocket, grab my phone, and join him. The car ride was so awkward. Neither of us said a word. I feel bad almost... how would Robby describe this? Fraternizing with the enemy? Sam probably wouldn't like it very much, but I feel like my safety would be more her concern. Robby has gotten more and more protective of me with every incident. He would not like me being here right now. He doesn't need to know. I'll tell him if the subject of 'Miguel never apologized to you' comes up, but I think that it's safer for everyone involved if it just stays a little quiet for now...

"I got the tokens covered-"

"No I got it. This was my idea, you don't have to pay,"

"I already feel like owe your mom, we can split,"

"I've got it, don't worry," he says, "annnd too late. Here, you take half."

I begrudgingly accept the tokens, dropping them into a front pocket of my shorts.

"Gracias, Diaz..." I say, still slightly wary. This is strange... and I have a feeling it's only gonna get stranger.

——

Ah holy shit what the hell!? Who-! Oh, it's just a child pulling at my flannel.

"Are you the dragon girl from the karate fight?" A little girl asks. What...? What is happening right now? How does she recognize me?

"Uh.. yeah, that's me," I say, glancing over at Miguel for help. What is going on..?

"Oh my gosh I am so sorry," a woman says, rushing over to the child, "you can't just run off, sweetheart."

"But mommy it's the karate girl!" The little girl says. Is Miguel just standing there watching this happen? She turns back to me.

"I liked the flip you did! It was amazing! My mommy says that I'm too little to do karate but I want to learn like you did!"

I'm gonna cry, this is too sweet. I can't help but smile.

"You can do anything you put your mind to, and while patience is always good," I say, turning to her mom, "there's a tae kwon do school that's not far from here on (street name) that offers great classes for younger kids. Karate and tae kwon do aren't the same, but they're pretty similar."

"I'm certainly considering signing her up for a class, thank you," the mom says back. Look at me, being a recruiter.

"Of course," I say. I get down on the girl's level. I have a strong need to feel like a good person to make up for the fact that I'm keeping things from those closest to me.

"Here," I say, handing her most of my tickets, "you could probably use these better than I could."

Her face lights up as she accepts them. I honestly don't like kids that much. They're sticky and loud and annoying and clueless and I don't like them... but moments like these make me hate them a little less.