Chapter 59-Heartbeat

Jake's POV
"I love you. Be good, and I'll be back in a few," Opie whispered before kissing my cheek.

I grinned at her and replied, "I love you, Opie girl." She beamed at me before walking out with Dylan trailing behind. The four of us jammed for a while but I caught myself watching the door. Sammy ran to the bathroom, and we could hear the puking from here. Danny shrugged and trotted after him to help.

Josh and I kept playing and singing songs for a while, but we were interrupted with a phone call. Josh paused, "It's Dylan.." He answered and put it on speakerphone in case they had questions about the beer or something. "Hey love! Danny and Sammy—"

"Josh, I love you. I'm fine, but you and Jake..you've gotta come to the hospital," she said shakily. My heart started racing as I struggled to wrap my head around what she was saying. We both got up and began putting on shoes. I quickly realized we were far too drunk still to be driving, but I was sobering quickly from adrenaline and fear. I called for an Uber while Josh gathered more information.

"Dyl, what's going on?" He pleaded.

"I'm fine, but we lost control of the car on the way back, and-and we ended up in a ditch," She tried explaining but she was sobbing and couldn't calm down.

"Is Opie okay?" I yelled into the phone. Josh shot me a look that quickly softened when he realized she hadn't mentioned Opie, yet. I knew it was rude of me to yell at her, but I couldn't stand not knowing. The Uber was still a few minutes away, and I needed to know now.

"Pickles, take a deep breath..How is Opie?" He asked calmly.

"She's still unconscious, and she's in a different room than me..." she finally managed. "The last thing she said was "the baby".." Dylan added softly.

"Oh shit! The baby!" I panicked. Until then I had only thought about Opie and her well-being, and I felt awful for not thinking of the baby. I felt tears coming to my eyes. Josh looked over in surprise as Dylan rattled off room numbers right as the Uber pulled up.

"I love you, Pickles. We'll be there soon." Josh said softly before hanging up and hugging me.

"Josh, we gotta go...now," I said sternly still holding in tears as much as I could. I wasn't ready to break down especially since I didn't know anything, yet. He nodded and we walked out to the car waiting.

We practically ran into the hospital doors and quickly found their respective rooms. I passed Dylan's on the way to Opie's, and I leaned in long enough to wave and thank her. When I found Opie's room, I walked in to see her sleeping.

I took the seat beside her bed and caressed her face gently. Tears were still threatening to fall, but she looked okay other than a cut near her left temple and a few bruises and cuts along her arms. I kissed her cheek and whispered, "I'm here, Opie. I love you." I foolishly hoped she would wake up, but she didn't. I sent Danny and Sammy a quick text explaining what happened.

"You must be Mr. Kiszka," a nurse said when she walked in after knocking softly. I nodded and stood to meet her. "Your fiancée has been in and out of consciousness, but she made sure that we knew you were her fiancé and that she wanted you here.." she said with a smile.

"How is she?" I asked nervously as I held her hand.

"Better now," Opie said breathily beside me. My eyes lit up as I turned and saw her smiling at me. "How is the baby?" She asked the nurse as she smiled and squeezed my hand.

"That's actually what I'm here to check on, so I'm glad you're both present," she said sweetly as she gathered the ultrasound equipment. After a few questions, she explained that the pregnancy probably wasn't far enough along for the ultrasounds you see in movies, and that she'd have to use the wand to get a closer look. I didn't understand until she lifted the blanket and Opie's feet and had her spread her legs and put them in the stirrups that lifted out of the bed frame. My eyes went wide and Opie giggled softly.