Chapter 1. The Girl in a Chair

It's been five years since mom died. I think about her all the time. She died from a very bad illness she caught when we were on vacation in Africa.
      I look in the mirror that sat on the counter. My long hair drapes over my shoulders. I see my eye has a bruise under it. Dad likes to hit me a lot when he gets drunk. He doesn't sometimes as long as I do my chores. But it gets hard cleaning all the time when your confined to a wheelchair.
      We were in a bad car accident when I was three. The door frame bent and struck me right in a certain part of my spine, and now, I can't feel or move the area above my knees down. But I can still feel my hips and around that area. I move the handle to my motorized wheelchair to the stairs and attach it to the lift.
      Dad works at a worldwide magazine company. He is assistant manager to the CEO, so we make very good money. Dad had to move us to Ireland for his job and, even though I'm 21, dad has court custody of me since they think I'm unfit to take care of myself. So I had to leave my friends and my family back in the U.S
      I scoot to the kitchen to make a plate of food, when dad comes stomping downstairs on his cellphone. I place his coffee and food on the table. Even though I'm stuck here, dad makes me do chores because, in his words, it helps me to keep my independence. I just think he wants a maid he doesn't have to pay.
     "Bill here. No, no Jameson. I said Italic Bold not Times Roman font! No Jameson. Get it off of there and redo it with Italic font before I come down there and shove the keyboard up your ass!" He hangs up and sips his coffee.
      "Having issues, Bill?" I ask him while I eat my breakfast. Dad ignores me and drinks more coffee and types on his phone.
     "Do your chores and you can go out for a couple hours, but then I want you home by 5:30 for dinner." His cell rings again and he answers it. "What, Jameson?!" He stands up and throws his full plate away and leaves with his coffee.
      I sigh and pull out my laptop from my bag that's attached to my chair and turn on YouTube while I eat my breakfast. "TOP OF THE MORNING TO YOU LADDIES. MY NAME IS JACKSEPTICEYE AND WELCOME BACK TO STRANDED DEEP!" My favorite YouTuber announces. I immediately get a smile on my face.
I watch a lot of YouTube when I'm home alone. They always help when I'm down and alone. I watch Jacksepticeye, Markiplier, Cinimontoastken, Lordminion777, and PewDiePie. They do gaming videos, and they are very funny and helpful. But Jacksepticeye is my most favorite. He's an Irish YouTuber and, I guess, one of the reasons I was happy about moving here.
      There's always a silver lining with bad situations.

* * * * * * *

      I scoot to my special made car outside. It was made with the driver seat replaced with chair attachments so my wheelchair can click and lock in. It also has an speed adjuster I can set so no matter how hard I push my foot, the gas will not go faster. There's a break lever on the steering wheel so I can stop, and then there's the sensor that stops the car if theres an accident or a car pulls out in front of me.
      I drive to the nearest Starbucks, which wasn't that far from the house. After I park, I get out and scoot inside and sit at an empty table. One of the employees that know me walk over with a smile on his face. "Hey girly, glad to see you back."
     "Hey Steven. Just a chocolate hazelnut mocha." I set the laptop on the table. Steven is a little older than me, but he's so nice, since he makes it easier for me to order stuff when I come in.
      Steven gives me a smirk. "With extra whip cream?"
      I smile at him. "You know me so well." I giggle. He smiles and nods.
"Coming right up hon." He goes back behind the counter.
      I open my laptop up and put a headphone in one ear. I start playing one of Jack's videos and start looking up colleges.
      Even though Bill has good lawyers, I'm still trying to fight for my freedom. I may be confined to a wheelchair, but I'm not incapable of taking care of myself. If I can get into a college, that's a huge bonus on my part because if I get in, I can get free from Bill.
Steven puts down my coffee and a napkin. "Thanks sweetheart." I pay him and give him a five dollar tip.
      He gets a big grin. "No, your the sweetheart. Let me know if you need anything else hon." He goes back behind the counter.
      I keep looking on my laptop at the colleges. I want to go for second grade teaching. I love kids and helping them. This is my dream. There's no way my father can stop me. No matter how many lawyers he has.
      After a few hours, I notice someone looking at me. I look up towards the doors and see a pair of beautiful bright blue eyes looking right at me. Our eyes lock and my heart races. It's Jack. He's in the same coffee shop I'm in. I see him smile and wink at me as he leaves and walks off. I can't move or breathe. I just saw my hero! I have a feeling that it won't be the last time I see him.