ten

The ground was wet.

Cecenia was wedged in between Kaz and Jesper on the wet grass, Inej laying beside Jesper as the four all watched the train with tired eyes. The four were hiding, not very well, under a wagon. All of them were eager to just get back to Ketterdam, something that they knew would be difficult but more rewarding then staying.

Her spirits were low, but the warmth that seemed to never disperse from her heart kept her up. She had never failed a heist like this before and the feeling of failure took over all of their minds. Instead of dwelling on it however, the Crows knew that they had to find a way back home. Getting stuck across the Fold was not on Kaz's to do list, and Kaz didn't do things that he didn't want to.

"How many are there?" Inej asked as the four all supported slight frowns. They knew that the wet grass was the least of their worries at the moment, but they couldn't help but not enjoy the uncomfortable surface after so long of being away from their home.

Kaz narrowed his eyes for a moment, not enjoying how bright it was outside. The Fold was dark as ever, absorbing any light within, but around it was bright as ever. "Two. At least one of them will have to go tell a superior what they found. We'll go in then."

"Not to be that person, Kaz, but are you sure we can drive that thing?" Jesper asked hesitantly as Cecenia resisted the urge to smack him. Of course it was a good question, the one that all three of the sane Crows were wondering as well, but at least the girls knew better than to actually ask it.

"Yes. On the way to Kribirsk, while you were busy hugging bait--"

"Milo!" "The goats name is Milo, Kaz."

Both Cecenia and Jesper earned an annoyed glare for that one.

"--I was memorizing Arken's timings."

"Not to gang up on you, Kaz, but Jes has a point. Arken's system was wildly complicated, that I picked up easily through that chaotic ride. No one would blame you for missing a count." Cecenia pointed out while dropping her voice down a bit softer toward the end. Jesper smirked down at her as he playfully nudged her side. She just ignored him, allowing him to shove her once or twice.

It took Kaz a painfully long time to answer her, Jesper and Inej exchanging glances of slight worry as he slowly turned his head toward her. The two Crows had no idea what had happened outside the night before besides the fact that their Cecenia and Kaz were closer than ever. Physically not much had changed, but the way they spoke to each other was clearer, as if the clouds were slightly lifted from their hearts as they examined what they held closest.

"Jes?"

"It's badass, for best friend. Isn't it my lovely, beautiful, amazingly talented Cecenia?" Jesper replied as Cecenia's face turned slightly red. She looked back toward the train for a moment, hiding the amusement that was fighting to find a way onto her face.

"No it's not." She mumbled, missing the way Inej and Jesper started whispering to each other. Sometimes even Cecenia forgot that they truly were teenagers, living in a world meant for those much older than them.

"Trust me. Arken and I think alike." Kaz said, looking down at Cecenia now. The Shadow looked up at him, smiling very slightly.

"I shouldn't be worried about that should I?" She asked, referring to the fact that the Dirtyhands just stated he was anything alike Arken.

"Not at all, darling."

Before Jesper could make a comment about the two being overly disgusting, an explosion gathered their attention. They watched as the train went up in a cloud of smoke, Cecenia running a hand over her face as she watched in disbelief. She had known that their luck was bad before hand, but this, this was a whole other level.