Forty-Nine

"You ready to go, Doll?" Jason asked. He had his bag packed with the clothes he brought and the books I gave him.

I nodded. "Yeah."

"What are you thinking about?" Jason asked.

He walked up in front of me and was staring down at me. I was sitting on the foot of his bed, waiting for him to get done packing. My heart felt twisted and I felt tired. "Are you still thinking about the de-Damian?"

"Yeah." I looked to the side, I didn't want to ruin the day he had planned. Although it might just be staying at his apartment all day.

"He's fine. But if it would make you feel better, go talk to him. I'll pack your bag, since I assume you haven't." Jason raised an eyebrow.

I blushed. "I didn't know I needed to."

"That's fine." Jason smiled and took my hand and gently pulled me up. "Go talk and I will pack for you."

I smiled and got up. "Damian!"

He opened his door. He stared me. "Yes?"

"I'm just letting you know that I'm gonna head out for the night. I'll probably be back tomorrow."

"This information seems unnecessary." Damian rolled his eyes.

"So I don't get a hug goodbye?" I asked.

Damian rolled his eyes again but hugged me. I hugged him back and ruffled his hair. "Be good. And be safe on patrol."

"I don't need you to babysit me." He huffed, still hugging me.

"That's the only reason we know each other, is because I had to babysit you." I laughed.

"Where are you going?" Dami asked.

"Jason's."

"For how long?" Dami mumbled.

"Probably just for one night. I don't know what he has planned though. Could be a weekend thing. But I'll be back before I go back to school. I promise."

Damian looked up at me. He nodded and pulled away. "Be safe."

"I will." I smile and walk back to my room to grab a few changes of clothes and my emergency rations of nectar and ambrosia. When I got there Jason was already there looking at a photo of me and my friends after the Giant war. "Yeah?"

Jason snapped his head to me. His eyebrows were knitted together, his eyes were misty. "When was this?"

"The war? I dunno. I was seventeen so two or three years ago." I shrugged and went to my bag to get what I need. I was considering just taking the whole bag I brought there.

"I'm sorry." Jason whispered.

I turned around. "What for?"

He looked up at me. "That you had to deal with this. It wasn't fair."

I shrugged, to play to play it cool. I've had people apologize for me being born but I don't think I've had some apologize for all of it. "It's fine."

"No, it's not." Jason shook his head.

"Look, I'm past that point in my life. I'm done with it. And it's not like you haven't gone through stuff that you shouldn't have." I stepped forward and looked up at him.

"But you went through two wars. It's just unfair." Jason shook his head.

I was very confused on why he was acting like this. Sure he was protective, but this was in the past. There was nothing he could do about. Maybe that was why. I cupped his face. "If I didn't have the life I have, I couldn't have met you. I wouldn't have gotten the job and I would be somewhere off in college with a completely different family and boy. I'm glad that this is the life I have."