1.5

A DANGEROUS SECRET

...

Edie took the plates from Stephen and dried them before putting them away. They had eaten the assortment of takeaway that he had brought while joking about colleagues. He worked alongside a professor named Nick and, more recently, a zookeeper named Abby and 'general nerd' (as Stephen named him) called Connor.

"Can you pass me the glasses?" Edie asked.

She took the glasses from him and put them away too. Stephen's kitchen always seemed so clean even after they both cooked which surprised her as he always cooked foods with pigmented spices, yet there were no paprika or turmeric stains upon the white marble countertops.

"So..." Stephen started grabbing Edie's hand and spinning her around until she faced him. "How about we finish things from earlier?"

Stephen stepped forward, backing Edie up to the counter. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

"That sounds like a good idea," Edie whispered as Stephen littered kisses down her neck, continuing straight on from before.

His hands moved to her waist, lifting her onto the side so that her legs could wrap around him. Not liking the abundance of clothes they were still wearing, Edie tugged at the hem of Stephen's T-shirt. Stephen laughed and pulled it off and then began undoing the buttons to Edie's blouse as she traced her lips along his neck.

"You are amazing," Stephen commented as he helped her out of her top, leaving her in a dainty bralette to which he traced his fingers along the lace over the curve of her breast.

He replaced his hand with his lips, kissing softly down her sternum, listening to the soft sighs she was beginning to make. Edie returned her hands to his hair, pulling him closer with her legs.

"How about we finish this in the bedroom?" Stephen hummed in her ear, wrapping his arm around her.

Edie nodded, kissing him deeply as he lifted her from the counter and made their way to his bedroom.

"Did you want to go out tomorrow?" Edie asked as she laid back onto the bed, undoing her jeans and sliding them off while Stephen did a similar thing to his own.

"If I can pull you away from your work," Stephen said, leaning over her to cup her face and kiss her.

"We both know..." Edie said between kisses, "that it's not me who..." The trail led down her body. "has a problem getting away from work."

The two rid themselves of any other articles of clothing and explored further over each other's bodies until they were heated and yearned to complete the moment. Entangled, Edie lost count of her breaths and Stephen's movements.

A phone rang.

"Ignore it," Stephen sighed, continuing his pace, this time raising one of Edie's legs to-

A phone rang AGAIN.

"For fuck's sake," Stephen swore, "I'm sorry, but-"

"No, it's fine," Edie shook her head, slightly annoyed.

Stephen found his phone in the kitchen and checked it on his way back to Edie. His face described to her that it was probably work and potentially important- more so than him helping her find a release.

"Shit," Stephen wiped his hand across his face which was fairly attractive as he still stood there nude. "I need to go and sort this out. I promise, Edie, I will make this up to you."

She could hear the sincerity in his voice and even though she didn't want him to go, she knew that he would do the same for her.

"It's alright," Edie laughed, trying to make light of the situation, "I'll be here when you get back."