1.4

THAT SINKING FEELING

...

"Oh, well I hope everything is okay..." Edie spoke over the phone to Stephen.

"Yeah, just doing some research in the Forest of Dean," he continued to explain, "It's been hectic and strange and I don't know whether I wanna get out of here because it means we will have worked it all out or I would be there with you."

Edie laughed, turning to face Jess who was beckoning her to get off her phone and into the water. The lido was fairly quiet, yet the day brought steady sunlight and warmth.

"So, I'm competing with your work?" Edie joked.

Stephen seemed flustered, "No, no..."

"It's okay, I'll see you when you get back and I'll bring Thai-"

"EDIE! COME ON!"

...

The water did exactly what she thought it would do. Jess, at that moment, wasn't thinking about her promotion. The cool rippled against her skin as Edie realised that perhaps she needed to relax as much as Jess did. As she submerged her head beneath, the sunlight flickered through the water's surface like piercing a thin film.

Edie had invited Stephen, but his work had called him in at the last minute. She didn't mind though as it meant she could spend the whole day with Jess.

"Look over there!" Edie called out.

Jess turned to look in the direction she was pointing which Edie took as a chance to beat her arms upon the surface of the water. Doing so with all her might, the water splashed up and covered Jess.

"EDIE!" Jess shrieked as she began laughing, "I am so going to get you back for that!"

And, she did.

There was something so childish in the minds of the two young women. No thought of work or life or troubles of any kind. The only disruption was water against skin, but even that felt refreshing. The cold against warmth was wanted, perhaps, needed. 

"Why the Forest of Dean?" Jess questioned as they laid back onto their towels to soak up the sun.

Edie grabbed the suncream from her bag, "I don't know..."

"I can't believe it though," Jess laughed.

"What?"

"So, you just randomly got a boyfriend who also knows a lot about dinosaurs?" Jess raised her eyebrow.

Edie shook her head, wiping access suncream from her hands, "We met at the bar. Some things just happen and technically he's not my boyfriend."

In all honesty, it was Jess' fault that she had met Stephen. Edie knew she was annoyed at the fact he was called in so couldn't meet him. Edie always thought she was overly protective of her friend, but Jess... She was little but fierce.

"What's Stephen's surname?"

"Why?" Edie questioned before realising that Jess was tapping something on her phone.

Lots of photos. Instagram? Lots of text. Twitter?

"It must be... Stephen Hart..." Jess said, "You're friends with him on Facebook."

"You're ridiculous," Edie laughed, nudging Jess.

"He works at CMU."

"I know, I am dating him," Edie said, sarcastically.