chapter zero, prologue.

Start from the beginning

"Think of it like this; she's already in the middle of it. Her classmate is in the hospital because she was attacked by an Alpha, her other classmate is part of a family of werewolf hunters, and her ex-boyfriend is a werewolf." Rachel listed, giving her husband a knowing look. At his reluctant expression, Rachel sighed softly and her shoulders slumped forward. "Mirabel isn't clueless, she would have figured it out eventually. And I want her to be safe, I need her to be safe. And you know just as well as I do, that Derek will do everything he can to keep her safe."

Howie stared at the love of his life blankly as he processed her words, eyes gazing into her own. After what felt like an eternity, his head hung forwards in defeat. "She's at the mall with her friend, Erica. I'll call her."

•••

MIRABEL SAT ACROSS FROM ERICA AT THE FOOD COURT, CHOPSTICKS NESTLED BETWEEN HER FINGERS AS SHE ATTEMPTED TO STEAL A PIECE OF BROCCOLI OFF OF ERICA'S PLATE. She groaned softly as the blonde smacked her hand away again, her head falling back in faux annoyance. "Erica!" Mirabel whined, giving her best friend a pleading look. "You don't even like the broccoli." But the blonde only shook her head, a faint smile playing on her lips. Mirabel pouted but sent a playful wink to the blonde across from her, letting her know she was only teasing.

"Hey, Mirabel?" Erica asked meekly, her voice hesitant and soft. When Mirabel raised a brow to let her know she was listening, Erica continued. "I have this friend . . ." Before she could continue, the Jones girl unintentionally cut her off, an excited look on her face.

"A boy? Erica Reyes, you dirty girl!"

"No! Y-yeah he's a boy, but it's not like that!" Erica insisted, her eyes wide and head frantically shaking back and forth. Her once pale face was now a bright red hue, the redness extending all the way down to her chest, and the tips of her ears were burning. Mirabel simply watched her friend with an extremely amused expression, hand over her mouth to keep from laughing aloud and embarrassing the Reyes girl even further. "It's not like that, trust me."

Mirabel only laughed, shaking her head softly and she reached over the table, hands firmly holding Erica's. "I know, babe. I'm only teasing." Giving the girl a final reassurance, Mirabel squeezed her hands and leaned back into her seat, taking a sip of her water. "What we're you saying about your friend?" Mirabel asked, but before Erica could answer, the familiar ringtone that belonged to her father called their attention. Mirabel mumbled a quick "sorry," and answered the phone.

"Hello?"

"Miraboo, hey, I think it's time to come home." Her father's voice crackled from the other side of the phone. "Your mother and I need to talk to you."

"What? Why? My curfew isn't until eleven." Mirabel pulled the phone away from her ear and looked that the screen, frowning when she saw it was barely 9:30 PM. "It's barely 9:30."

"Mirabel, I said it's time to come home. Now."

She frowned at her father's tone, the seriousness in his voice worried her. She quickly thought back if she had forgotten to take out the trash or had accidentally done something to set him off, but nothing came to mind. She only hoped she wasn't in too much trouble. "Yeah, yeah, fine. I'll be there soon, just let me drop Erica off first." Hearing that, Erica hurriedly packed up their food and threw away their trash, grabbing her bags and began to stand up. Mirabel gave the girl a grateful look, grabbing her purse and fishing her car keys out. "Alright, we're leaving now. Yeah, love you too, dad. Bye."

"What was that about?" Erica inquired as the two made their way out to the parking lot and towards Mirabel's beloved white Volkswagen Beetle. Mirabel frowned and shook her head.

"I have no idea."

☆↷: ༘ˎˊ˗. ── FINAL NOTES

So I still have no idea how to end a chapter. Anyway, I hope this prologue gives you a bit of insight into the Jones family. I think my favorite part of this chapter was with Derek and the picture of his mom. Despite this book being mainly about Mirabel, this chapter was dedicated to her parents and Derek and their past together. Also, here is a picture of Mirabel's car.

Let me know what you thought about this chapter and PLEASE DON'T BE A GHOST READER! Your comments are what motivate me to update, and I absolutely HATE when you ask me to update

Let me know what you thought about this chapter and PLEASE DON'T BE A GHOST READER! Your comments are what motivate me to update, and I absolutely HATE when you ask me to update. I have a life outside of this app; I have a job, friends, college applications, etc. Please comment, it means everything to me and other authors!

WORD COUNT; 1,345
UNEDITED
PUBLISHED; March 2, 2022

xoxo,
lili