Embarrassing Part 2

An hour passes and the timer goes off, signaling the end of this trial. Deion backed away, exhausted from standing for so long. While Ryu checked the dishes that were done, he sat down by the bounded cats.

"Not bad, newbie." mouthed Anya, slowly moving her body toward him. "You may have what it takes to work here."

Deion nodded. "Well, this was my specialty for a couple of years. I'm not sociable enough to be a server, and I was training to be a prep cook before...well, you know."

"Before you magically came to our world?"

"Oh, no. My world was ending because of a disease that didn't have a vaccine. I don't even know if they ever found a cure, but it spread pretty fast."

Next to Anya, Chloe lurched away. "How do we know you don't have the disease? You might've brought it to us without knowing it!"

"True." Deion agreed. "Thankfully I wasn't around anyone when I vanished. Also it didn't quite make it to where I lived, yet. Even if I did bring it here, I don't imagine myself being the type who would be without some symptoms."

Ryu turned towards the others, cutting the conversation short. "That's good. Because bringing illness would disqualify you from this job. Worst case scenario, you might be cast out of Orario. Now, onto your assessment."

She transitioned from that statement so quickly that it caught everyone by surprise. Syr stood by the doorway laughing to herself. Ryu continued. 

"You did very well. Everything is neatly stacked and none of the completed dishes have grease or stains on them. Your technique and speed were almost blinding to watch. I'd say your sole detriment was use of soap. I will have to procure more before the day is done. In short: you pass."

Deion sighed in relief. He felt sure that he'd pass, but the amount of crud to clean became such an ordeal.

"While Ryu takes care of that," Syr said, untying Anya and Chloe. "I will take you to the final assessment. Please, follow me."

Anya stretched out her limbs and rubbed her wrists. "Finally! You almost severed my hands by tying them like that, Ryu."

"Next time, do well to take matters like this more seriously. Especially with Mia not here."

Anya backed away, following the others out of the back room. Syr led them through another door that brought them outside. Taking a quick glance around at the discarded trash and miscellanea, Deion noted this unfamiliar area of the tavern. Standing in the center of it all was the last employee of the Hostess of Fertility, putting on her fingerless gloves.

"Your very last test." Syr began, leaning against the lone tree off to the side of the wall surrounding this place. "Battle against Lunor."

"Oh crap!" he thought, turning his back on his opponent. "You're not trying to kill me, are you?"

Syr shook her head. "Of course not. This is more about how well you can defend yourself."

"That--" Lunor said, catching and restraining his arms. "And I need to cut loose a little bit."

"It's definitely the second reason." Anya playfully warned him.

Deion wrestled for a better position, but she had a much tighter grip than he anticipated. He caught a knee to the back in an attempt to bring him closer, dragging him to the center of the open area.

"Hold still, will ya?" Lunor ordered. "I want to try something."

Whatever the move was, he wanted no part of it. If there was a time to break out and deal an early, decisive blow, this was the time. Deion swung his leg back, aiming for the shins or the back of the legs. But Lunor was ready. Using the slow swing of the leg to sweep him down to the ground. Seizing the moment, Lunor pinned him down by sitting on his back and pulling him by the arms into a submission move. The strain on his back grew worse the more she lurched. He had to wriggle out with any method he could before giving up.