The Island Of Lost Paradoxical Copies

A crosswalk

(Cavendish and Dakota are standing at a crosswalk. Dakota is using a tablet computer.)

Cavendish: Oh, come on. We had Ye Olde Pizza last week!

Dakota: What? That was like seventy-two hours ago. It's not still in my stomach.

NW!Ben, muttering: How about Mr. Smoothies? It's pretty good.

Cavendish: (points to a guy selling corn dogs on the other sidewalk) I want a corn dog!

Dakota: Do you know what a corn dog is?

Cavendish: Well, apparently, it's ground pig meat shoved in a sheep's intestine, dipped in corn batter and deep-fried. (He starts to cross the street.)

Dakota: Well, I guess you do! Get me one while you're out - (A cable snaps, dropping a giant air-conditioning unit on Cavendish.) Wait, wait, wait, wait, no!

(Cut to several people reacting in horror. Some onlookers scream. Cut back to Dakota.)

Dakota: Argh... Here we go again. (He crosses the street.)

Corn dog seller: Did you just see that guy get crushed? (Dakota wordlessly asks for two corn-dogs.)

Dakota: Yeah, yeah, I'm workin' on it.

(He buys them and walks away. Several people run past the death from screen right to screen left.)

Man: Look out, look out, look out!

(Dakota enters his time vehicle and goes back three minutes. The narrator reads "THREE MINUTES EARLIER", as Dakota parks his car around a corner from the earlier Cavendish and Dakota. He hides behind a tree and watches them.)

The same, except three minutes earlier

Cavendish: Oh, come on. We had Ye Olde Pizza last week!

Earlier Dakota: What? That was like seventy-two hours ago. It's not still in my stomach.

NW!Ben, muttering: How about Mr. Smoothies? It's ok.

(Present Dakota rustles the plant behind which he is hiding. He shushes earlier Dakota.)

Earlier Dakota: Hey, Cavendish, could you go close the top?

Cavendish: Oh, certainly. (Goes to close the top on the time-vehicle)

Earlier Dakota: (to present Dakota) Really?

Present Dakota: Yup. (leaves his plant) A/C unit, right on the head. (Hands documents to earlier Dakota; the latter inspects them and stows them) Here, send me a postcard.

(They shake hands, and the present Dakota takes the place of the earlier Dakota.)

Dakota: Yeah, thanks. So anyway, what do you want to eat?

Cavendish: (points to a guy selling corn dogs on the other sidewalk) I want a corn dog!

Dakota: I'm way ahead of you. (pulls out the corn-dogs he bought in the former timeline) Ta-da!

Cavendish: Excellent! When did you get these?

Dakota: When you weren't looking.

(A cable snaps and drops the air-conditioning unit, exactly as in the former timeline, but Cavendish is safely on the other side of the street. Onlookers scream.)

Cavendish: Gosh, how fortunate. You could have been hurt. (Crosses the street)

Dakota: Yeah, I coulda been hurt. That's the takeaway here.

NW!Ben: At least he cares.

(The Dakotas give each other thumbs-up. The earlier Dakota, who is now hiding behind a plant, looks over his documents again.)