Chapter 1

The traffic was ridiculous. I had been sitting on the bridge for about half an hour without moving. I mean, I always knew that traffic on the bridge was bad - but this was just crazy. I needed to pick up some cake for some party my parents were throwing. Don't ask why, I mean, I don't see the need to drive an hour and half for a cake... but my parents obviously do.

Anyways - there was commotion all around me. Sirens were blasting and people were getting out of their cars, walking around, talking to other people, and all the while police officers were 'managing' the chaos.

My window was down, my car was running out of gas and the summer heat was getting to me. I watched as a cop sent someone back to his car. The cop was walking passed my car.

"What's going on?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Some kid is standing on the railing - about to jump." the cop sighed, as if he had already said that line a hundred times. Probably more than that.

"Why isn't anyone stopping him." I frowned.

"When someone approaches him, he threatens to jump." the cop sighed again.

"What does he want?" I asked. I never understood suicide. Where I lived, the worst thing that happened was that someone's house would end up covered in toilet paper. And that was just from petty teenage drama.

"I have no clue." the officer said, walking away. I frowned and sat back. Should I go help? I mean, I can't just sit here if someone is about to die. But what would I say? I bet there are trained psychologists or whatever, trying to reason with the kid. I sighed, and turned on the radio. I blasted it to drown out my mind's conflict. I picked up my phone and went online. My jaw dropped. I first saw -

Tristan Hunter is abouta jump off of a bridge. Then I saw -

Hunter's gonna jump! Then I saw -

Tristan please don't! Then -

Jump Tristan jump! Then -

Hunter's gonna off himself. Then -

Bye Tristan. Then  -

I stared. These were the last six updated status by people online. Tristan Hunter? He went to my school. He was popular! I mean - not hugely popular, but he was definitely one of them. You know what them I'm talking about. I had never really talked to the guy before, but the fact that he went to the same school as me made me feel guilty... I don't really no why.

He had a family! He had siblings - and friends, and people that cared about him. He wouldn't just jump. No! That's crazy. I closed my eyes. What if it's not crazy? I took the key out of the ignition and got out of my car. I locked it and began walking in the direction of the commotion. Soon, I saw the lights from the fire truck. Really? A fire truck - why exactly is that necessary?

Then I saw him. He was holding onto part of the bridge and standing on the railing. I stopped walking. I just couldn't believe my eyes. This guy was laughing with his friends everyday, now his face is scared and he's about to kill himself? How could this happen?

"I'm going to have to ask you to go back to your car." an officer showed up in front of me. I nodded blankly and began walking away. Then I stopped. Tristan Hunter was not going to jump off of a bridge. I simply would not allow it. I turned around - the cop was already gone. 

I sprinted towards Tristan.

"Stop." I heard voices behind me. Tristan's head snapped up in the direction of the yelling. His eyes widened in confusion as I approached him.