Chapter 12: March 17th 11:00 AM

It was the weekend. Chongyun was reading silently. He was hoping. Hoping. For his mom to be okay. She was going for a checkup. When he heard the door creak open, he immediately put away his book. He was almost done Lovers Without the Quarrel.

"Honey! I'm home! And I have two—three pieces of good news!" Chongyun's mom called.

Chongyun immediately sprinted downstairs.

"The doctor said that I still have a lot of time left." She smiled sadly.

Chongyun's heart lifted before he realized she would still die anyway.

"And your dad is coming back! I—I'm not sure if this is entirely good news...but..."

Chongyun sighed. He didn't like his dad, but he was still his dad.

"And thirdly..." Chongyun's mom bit her lip. "I've been thinking about my actions. And I wanted to say...I was wrong about the Xingqiu boy."

Chongyun's eyes widened.

"You can definitely be friends with him. You can probably learn a lot of things from him. I'm so sorry, Chongyun. you can be friends with anyone. Just try not to hurt yourself or anyone else."

Chongyun's heart soared. It literally flew. First, his mother wasn't going to die and second, he didn't have to feel guilty when he was with Xingqiu. He ran to hug her. "Thank you...mom."

Chongyun's mom smiled. "Of course. Now, how about we make some icicle cupcakes?"

Chongyun smiled. He and his mom made 'icicle cupcakes' on special occasions. They were normal cupcakes but had frozen sugar water all over it, giving a look as if it were covered in ice or snow. He grabbed his mom's hand and headed over to the kitchen.

Everything felt different. The world felt lighter. He wondered if this was all a joke or a prank. But he didn't want to trouble himself with those things when he could be the happiest person. I should text Xingqiu.

***

Chongyun

Chongyun

Hi

I just got good news

my mom is going to live

and im allowed to be friends with you

Xingqiu

what about dating you?

Chongyun

uh

i didn't tell her

Xingqiu

its alr

can i go to your house today?

because yk im allowed to now?

Chongyun

sure

how about in the next thirty minutes?

Xingqiu

ofc <3