She did. Her heart skipped a beat. "So he's after Mum? And Alfie? What about me and Sirius?"

"Well," Percy let out a humorless laugh. "He's not exactly fond of you two either, but see, you're not muggles. He wants the muggles first."

'First' made Artemis's blood run cold. So it was a system, a plan. "How's he going to do it?" she asked, her voice no more than a whisper.

"You know how."

Artemis turned back to her mother, who was staring at the two of them with wide, fearful eyes, unable to put all of the questions in her head into words. "Mum," said Artemis, her voice regaining strength. "You need to go into hiding. Tomorrow, if not sooner."

"Not by day," Sirius chimed in. "It's best to go by night."

"We'll help you," said Artemis. "We'll spend the night and help you prepare."

Jane looked reluctant, and Alfie dubious. "What if we don't want to?" he said slowly. "I mean, I've got work and-"

"That doesn't matter," Artemis cut him off. "Your lives are at stake here. I can't explain it all to you, but I need you to trust me."

Percy, who had silently watched the exchange with a grim expression, pushed himself off of the doorframe and stepped further into the room. "Look, I can't stay long," he said, his voice now hurried. "I went to the party to warn you, Art, to warn you somehow, but you know this is too far."

Artemis bit down on her lower lip and stared up at her brother, willing the lump in her throat to go away. She didn't want him to leave. "I know," she said in a rough voice. "Perc, if you ever... if you ever need anything..."

"I know," said Percy, and he gazed at Artemis with a connection only siblings can feel. They knew what his leaving meant. They both did. They would be fighting on opposite sides of a war. No matter what they did for the rest of their lives, they'd feel like they were killing each other. "I don't want you to expect to hear from me, okay?" he said softly. "Forget I was ever here in the first place, and don't expect any word. Keep Mum safe, and keep yourself safe. It's what Dad-" He choked a bit on his words, "-It's what Dad wanted."

Artemis stood to walk him to the door, knowing he wouldn't give the same speech to their mother. Surprisingly, he strode over to her, bent down, and whispered something in her ear. Then, he stood up straight and stuck out a hand to Alfie. Artemis watched the two shake hands before Percy turned to Sirius. The two of them stared at each other for a second with mutual disdain mixed with understanding.

Sirius stood up. "If you ever..."

"I know," Percy interrupted, holding up a hand. "I know." He stuck out his hand to shake Sirius's. He lowered his voice. "Just- don't leave her, alright? That's all. Just don't leave."

Sirius was tempted to mention that Percy was the one walking out of Artemis's life just then, but he bit his tongue. "Never," he said, as civilly as he could manage. "I never will."

Percy nodded, satisfied, then joined Artemis at the door. He gave her a half smile, and she was reminded of the way he used to throw his head back laughing when she said something he thought was funny. He was her big brother. No matter what, he would always be her big brother. "Come here," she said, and tenderly wrapped her arms around him.

He felt distant and cold, even in the warmth of the house, but he hugged her back, briefly. "Take care of yourself," he said when he let her go. "Do whatever you have to do to get through this."

"You too," Artemis murmured, and before she knew it, he was gone.

She wanted to cry. She wanted to sit on the floor of the foyer, curl into a ball, and weep for the loss of her brother. She didn't. She turned and walked numbly back to the living room. There were still issues at hand, things she needed to take care of.