[04] bite me

"Hyeon-Ju!" Ms. Park exclaims, crouching down to help the girl sit up.

Hyeon-Ju doesn't look like the Hyeon-Ju I know. Blood is splattered all over her uniform, the strands of her hair sticking out in all directions, but the most distinct part of her appearance isn't what she looks like at all but rather... her smell.

"She smells like..." I trail off.

"Rotting corpse." Nam-Ra finishes.

Within seconds, I rush over to help Ms. Park steady our classmate.

"Hyeon-Ju, who did this to you?" Ms. Park asks, frantic.

"The science teacher." Her voice is raspy. "He locked me up in the science lab. He grabbed me and locked me up."

"Lee Byeong-Chan did this to you?"

"Yes."

Several whispers errupt from the classroom.

"We have to take her to the clinic."

"I'll carry her." Su-Hyeok volunteers in a heartbeat, lifting Hyeon-Ju on his back.

"Nam-Ra, watch over the class, please."

"I'll come with you." I can see Su-Hyeok about to protest, but Hyeon-Ju starts to thrash around, so I help Su-Hyeok keep her still. "You'll need more hands."

On-Jo and I-Sak volunteer to go as well. We rush towards the clinic, unaware of how much noise Hyeon-Ju was making. Several students from other classrooms try to peek through the doors, curious about the commotion that is happening in the hallway.

Su-Hyeok lays Hyeon-Ju on the bed as soon as we reach the clinic. The nurse rushes towards us, demanding to know what happened.

"He kept injecting me with something." Hyeon-Ju cries.

"Do you know what it was?"

"I don't know." She snaps. "I'm going to kill them all!"

Hyeon-Ju starts thrashing around so much, we all had to help keep her down on the bed as the nurse injects something in her. On-Jo jumps back when Hyeon-Ju attempts to bite her.

"Are you alright?" I ask, grabbing On-Jo's hand. I start to inspect her wound, but thankfully it's just a small scratch.

"Yeah, I'm- LOOK OUT!"

On-Jo pushes me aside when Hyeon-Ju lunges at me. I hiss, feeling a sting of pain on my forearm as I collide with the edge of the headboard. I ignore it, focusing on helping I-Sak detain Hyeon-Ju.

"Are you hurt?" Su-Hyeok asks with a gentle voice.

I shake my head. "Let's focus on Hyeon-Ju for now."

Once she's settled down, the nurse leaves to call an ambulance.

Ms. Park glances at us one by one. "This should stay between us, understood? I-Sak, please tell your classmates."

I-Sak nods and leaves the clinic, just as the nurse informs us that the ambulance is on its way.

On-Jo's dad is frantic when he learns On-Jo got hurt trying to detain her classmate. Once On-Jo's wound is properly dressed, On-Jo, Su-Hyeok and I make our way back to the classroom.

I feel a sudden jolt of pain on my forearm, but I ignore it, the current events still fresh on my mind.

"On-Jo," Su-Hyeok begins. "When you said you had to tell me something, can you tell me now?" He pats the back of his head nervously. "I have basketball practice after lunch, you see..."