[02] it's not a crush (it is)

"Na-Ri," On-Jo calls out.

I stop talking to Cheong-San and turn to look at her, tilting my head to the side. "You called?"

"Which side do you think is better." On-Jo takes off her ponytail and tucks a strand of hair behind her right ear. "This one?" She combs the right side of her hair down and tucks a strand of hair behind her left ear. "Or this one?"

I tap my chin in contemplation, instinctively turning to face Cheong-San. I don't like the way he stares at On-Jo for too long. I don't know why, but it makes my stomach go crazy.

Maybe it was the Coke.

Yeah, that's probably it.

"Left side's better." I beam at her before kicking Cheong-San's leg. "Let's go, Gopher. You'll catch flies if you continue to gape like that."

It takes Cheong-San a moment before realizing what I said. He quickens his pace to match mine. "I wasn't gaping. The random question just surprised me."

I frown at him. "Why are you explaining?"

"I-I," He stutters. "I have no idea. You're right, I shouldn't explain myself to you."

He hits the back of my head lightly as he runs pass me.

"Aish, what an asshole." I groan, rubbing the back of my head. I turn to face On-Jo who is trailing slightly behind us. She looks distracted. "Yah, Nam On-Jo, you okay?"

"Huh?" She shakes her head slightly. "Yeah, I'm fine. I was just thinking if I should do it."

"Do what?"

"You know..." She gestures like I'm supposed to know what she's talking about.

"Oh yeah!" I snap my fingers, then frown. "Yeah no, I don't know. I have no idea what you're talking about."

She rolls her eyes at me. "Bare-su!"

"What about that idiot?"

"He's not an idiot."

"We're both failing at least 3 subjects, I think I can vouch for him."

On-Jo chuckles airily. "I was thinking if I should confess to him or not."

My eyes widen in surprise. "No way! You like him?"

Cheong-San whips his head around when he hears me yell.

"Go walk ahead of us, Gopher." I wave my hand at him. "And don't even think about listening to us."

He sticks his tongue out at me, and I flip him off.

"Well, I think you should go for it." I shrug. "Honestly though, I thought you and Cheong-San had something going on."

"Why does everyone think that?" On-Jo groans in frustration. "I swear nothing's happening between us. Actually, I thought something was going on with you two."

"Eh?!" I exclaim. I gesture for Cheong-San to turn around when I notice him looking at us again. "Why would you even think that?"

"Because," On-Jo smiles. "You two like to take care of eachother in your own... special kind of way. To others it might look like you hate each other by how much you tease each other, but they never really see the way you always bring an extra carton of banana milk because you know Cheong-San likes to drink banana milk after every meal. Or the way Cheong-San fondly smiles at you whenever you feel flustered by how much he teases you."

"Does he really smile at me like that?"

"Yes!" On-Jo laughs and swats my arm. "Oh my God, you don't even know you like him, do you?"