Chapter Five

Beginne am Anfang

Yo Han didn't say anything. The children murmured among themselves but one girl looked at him inquisitively, as if he was a strange puzzle that she suspected she would have fun solving.

"Alright then, anyone who wants to be seat partners with Yo Han?" The teacher asked. No one spoke up. The girl who had been staring made to speak up but the teacher turned to Se In, who sat two seats in front of her. The seat beside Se In was the only one empty besides the one next to the girl.

"Se In-ah, will you be his seat partner?"

Se In nodded sweetly. "Nae, sounds good." She smiled warmly at Yo Han. The girl at the back deflated a bit.

A few days later, a dove flew into the class, sending panic and chaos through the classroom. After a few moments of haphazard flying, it landed on Se In's desk, terrifying the girl. All Yo Han saw was that the one person who seemed to like him was scared, so he had to eliminate what scared her. With a swing of his steel scale, he killed it.

The kids screamed, the teacher looked horrified and Se In turned even paler. Everyone yelled at him, asking him why he killed it. With a gulp, he went back to writing down notes. The girl who had smiled at him, now looked at him with disgust.

"Since then, the kids called Yo Han a monster. Nobody talked to him. You could say he was treated like an invisible person. By all except one."

Ga On looked up inquisitively.

"Song Ji Eun stuck to him like a magnet. Nobody knew why, but she seemed determined to be his friend. And strangely enough, he let her hang around him."

   "I see." Ga On was momentarily lost in thought before he looked back up. "Is that why you wrote that comment? That he's the devil?"

   The priest sighed. "No. Compared to what would happen after that, that was nothing."

   "At that time, the school was divided by the upper neighbourhood and the lower neighbourhood. The kids from the upper neighbourhood had plenty and the the kids from the lower neighbourhood were poor."

   After the dinner Ga On had had with Yo Han and Ji Eun, he could guess that the pair of them were in the upper neighbourhood.

   "There was a similarity though, that they all treated Yo Han as if he were a monster. And since Ji Eun was his friend, the treatment extended to her as well."

   "Shoot him the head." The boy who held the toy gun smirked as he took aim and shot at Yo Han, hitting him perfectly on the head. Yo Han winced in pain and looked up in the direction but the three boys turned away, stifling their laughs. They turned back to look at him and burst into laughter.

   "Hit him in the eye," one of them said.

   The boy hit him in the eye, making him drop his book. When he turned in their direction once more, they looked away. "Nice!"

   They glanced back at him and laughed once more.

   "Did you see his face?"

   A slender hand shot under the boy's desk, snatching away his gun. Song Ji Eun looked fierce and cold as she took aim at the owner of the gun and hit him at the end. Hitting him from such close range made it more painful and she full well knew it.

   "I hit you in the head. How many points do I get?"

   She hit him again. "Is it nice? To be on the receiving end? Do you still think it's fun?" She demanded. "Do you know how funny your face is right now?"