04. Sleepover

After dinner, Richie popped in the DVD they'd bought earlier. Richie's parents sat on the couch, and the boys sat on the floor with Richie's arm draped over Eddie's shoulders. Eddie leaned into Richie's side.

Noah sat on a chair next to the TV with her arms crossed. She made brief eye contact with Richie and smiled tauntingly. Richie stuck his tongue out, and Maggie smacked his head, which earned a giggle from Eddie.

The movie Richie pulled off of the rack was a horror movie. "Hope you like scary movies," he said as he tosses it in the cart.

"I do. Do you?"

"Not really." He looked at Eddie almost guiltily. "But, shit, why not?"

Now they were wrapped in each other, watching The Conjuring. Richie tensed up every now and then, squeezing Eddie. It didn't really bother him, more it would make him laugh. Noah kept giving knowing glances and smiled.

"Shit!" Richie yelled when something happened, and he squeezed Eddie. "Sorry."

"It's okay," Eddie giggled.

Richie smacked his arm. "Don't laugh at me!"

Just as Eddie was about to hit him back, Noah interrupted and stood up. "Who wants ice cream?"

Richie and Eddie raised their hands. Maggie stood up. "I think I'm going to bed. No more of this scary stuff for me."

Wentworth stood up, too, saying, "Right behind you," then, "Goodnight, kids."

"Night, Dad."

The parents left and Noah came back with three cones. "How do you guys like the movie?"

"It's good," Richie muttered, eyes glued to the screen. Eddie licked his cone and 'mhm'd quietly. Richie ruffled Eddie's hair, and Noah sat back with a smirk on her face neither boys could see.

. . .

The movie ended, and, as promised, Richie pulled out Twister. Noah didn't want to play, so she declared herself in charge of the spinner.

"Who's going first?" she asked.

"I call shortest." Richie looked at Eddie with a smile.

"Alright." Noah said, chuckling when Eddie flipped Richie the bird. She spun. "Eddje, left hand on red."

Eddie leaned over, laying his left hand on a red dot.

"Rich, right foot on yellow."

"Left foot on blue, Ed."

The game went on until the two were practically twisted around each other. Their muscles were strained but they were having fun.

"Eddie, right foot on red."

He tried his absolute hardest to stretch his foot over to red. He succeeded, looking straight into Richie's eyes. He was so close. Richie tried to look anywhere but Eddie, but ultimately failed. Eddie laughed at how pink Richie seemed to be, but it might've just been Eddie's pink hoodie reflecting in the light.

"Your breath fucking stinks Rich."

"Richie, left hand on green."

Richie smiled. "Just for that..."

Richie lifted his left hand and jabbed it in Eddie's ribs. Eddie laughed and lost balance, falling on his back. Richie shot up, arms in the air. "I won," he shouted.

Eddie grabbed Richie's ankle and pulled, making him fall right on his ass. Noah laughed. Richie pouted, but smiled.

"Alright, that's enough." Noah pulled Richie by the arms and dragged him off. Eddie stood up and helped with putting the game back.

Noah walked around with the remaining snacks, offering some to the boys before putting them away.

"I'm going to bed. Don't be too loud." Noah pat them both on the back, then pointed at Richie. "I mean that. You're really fucking loud, Rich."

"Ouch." Richie smiled. "Night, Noah."

Noah waved, then disappeared up the stairs.

Richie rested his elbow on Eddie's shoulder.

"You wanna hang out outside for a bit?"

. . .

The two walked around the neighborhood, walking off all the junk they ate. They had their hands in their jacket pockets, bumping their arms into each other.

Eddie took a cold breath in. The air stung the inside of his nose.

"Do you really think I'm pretty?"

Richie stared at Eddie. "You haven't dropped that yet?"

"I mean, I've been told it so many times today, how am I supposed to just drop it?" He laughed. "If it's not true and Noah's just saying shit to be funny then no big deal. I just wanna know, Chee."

Richie sighed. They were silent for a moment.

"Yeah, I do. You're pretty." He looked over to Eddie. His head was down, but he was beaming. Richie smiled, too.

"Thanks, Rich."

"Yeah." Richie smiled, too. "Also, 'Chee'? Really?"

"What, is it bad?"

"Better than 'Eds'."

"That is definitely not true."

. . .

The two went back inside when their faces felt like they would freeze off at any moment. Eddie offered to sleep out on the couch, but Richie said that just won't do.

"Thanks for sleeping over, Eds."

"Yeah, of course. It's fun. I like it here." Eddie smiled at him. "I'll definitely be coming over here a lot more."

"That's good." Richie laid his arm out, inviting Eddie to get closer. He laid his head on Richie's chest. Their breathing slowed, almost asleep.

"I like having you over here, Eds."