I

"The team are excited to meet you, Carter." Camile grins. "Your father I'd very well known."
"I can imagine." I chuckle. "I just hope I can live up to his name."
"Do you need info on the team or should I leave it as a surprise?"
"I'm sure some information wouldn't hurt." I smile politely.
"Bones...Dr. Brennan is a little unusual, but very good at her job, Zack is young, just got back from Iraq he is intelligent and works well, Booth is an amazing detective, we have Hodgins who is our botanist, mineralolagist and entomologist has many nicknames, you might get along well with him." She looks over her shoulder. "You'll also be pleased that we have an excellent facial reconstruction system and Angela Montenegro is our best person for that. Oh, and our psychologist, Lance Sweets."
"I can't wait to meet the team then."
I keep my hands behind my back, keeping my posture straight. Just like I was taught to do throughout my entire life. I take in a deep breath as the door opens, following Camile in slowly.

"This is-"
"Carter King." A young man with shaved hair stands rather quickly.
"Yes, Zack."
"Nice to meet you." I give an awkward wave.
"As you know, we had a new addition to the team and Carter is that addition." Camile gestures towards me. "He will be our newest pathologist and special agent."
"Why do we need a new member?" A man frowns.
"Booth, we just wanted to have extra members on the team to help us out."
"Are you crazy, Booth?" An awkward looking gentleman scoffs. "This man's father is the reason we have so many methods here."
"How am I supposed to know?" Booth scoffs.
I detect a hint of something, jealousy maybe? Stress? Whatever his issue is, I'm sure he'll get over it.
"I'll leave you to get acquainted with the team." Camile smiles, patting my shoulder before she leaves.
This is awkward.
"I have so many questions." I catch the name on the badge, Hodgins.
"Sure." I shrug.
He wraps an arm around my shoulders and walks me to his station. We sit down together, I try to relax, but new environments are hard to get used to.
"Why now?" He finally speaks.
"I dont follow." I frown.
"I mean, your father retires, you don't take over right away so why now?"
"Ah, thats it." I sit back slowly. "I went to school, enjoyed every single part of pathology, trained as a special agent to gain more experience...then I joined the military..."
"What happened?"
"Honorable discharge, I was shot. Friendly fire, had to regain my strength but they thought I best to let me go so I took some time off to think about things and here I am."
"That sucks." He frowns.
"I suppose it does, but I'm here now."
Hodgins leans forward to speak when we are interrupted by a smiling woman. Wow, she's...wow.
"Coffee?" She looks at me.
"Uh...sure."
"Thought I'd offer, I think making drinks is a good way to get to know new people." She suddenly holds a hand out to me. "I'm Angela Montenegro by the way, I'm the one that reconstructs faces."
I shake her hand softly.
"Its a great asset to the team, its something we should appreciate a lot more."
She grins, looking at Hodgins.
"We're together." He states.
"I'm married with children." I smile.
"So, how do you take your coffee?"
"Three sugars and black." I shrug. "So, what does that say about me?"
"Sweet, but with a dark side."
She is good at that.

Time to talk to Dr.Brennan, I will be working close with her if needed...her and Booth, special agent Booth that is.
"So, what do we call you?" Booth raises an eyebrow.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, Dr or special agent?"
"Just Carter is fine."
He stares at me as if he's analysing me carefully. I'm not going to falter her.
"Whats your game?"
"My game?" I frown.
"Are you here to replace me?"
"No, I'm here to work with you."
"Right."
"Look, we probably got on the wrong foot for some reason, but I promise I'm not here to replace anyone."
"I'll see about that."
I stare at him, he looks like he wants to say something else. He definitely doesn't believe me.
"Dr.King...or special agent king..."
"He says just Carter is fine." Booth interrupts.
"I think he has the capability of speaking himself, Booth." Dr.Brennan looks at me. "Your father was a genius."
"I'm hearing that a lot." I laugh.
"As you should, your father approved the use of dermestid beetles in labs."
"Well, you know...taxidermy was doing it for years."
"And it helped us all a lot."
"We always had our own colony." I chuckle. "Still do, my dad still enjoys hunting."
"He also introduced all the newest technology we have, he worked on advancing it!"
"Alright, Bones." Booth scoffs. "His dad did that, what has this kid done?"
"I served in the military." I clear my throat.
"Oh..."
Bones nods once, looking between us.
"Maybe you should act in a more polite manner instead of acting out in jealousy or fear of bring replaced." I shrug a shoulder casually.
"He has a point." Brennan sighs. "Anyway, I'd love to show you around."
"Lead the way."

I look at Zack as Brennan introduces us, this kid knows what he's talking about and it'll be interesting to work with him. He loves his job clearly, has a lot of knowledge for being rather young.
"So, why Bones?" I mumble as I scribble in my notebook.
"Sorry?"
"Special agent Booth, calls you Bones." I look at her. "Just wondered why."
"Anthropology, bones, working with them...I suppose its a nickname because of my area of interest."
"Makes sense." I smile. "Does he do that with everyone?"
"Only if he likes you." Zack looks up from what he's doing. "Usually goes for last names."
"So, you're special?"
"No, we just work close together I'm sure you know how it is."
"I haven't worked with a partner yet."
"I understand." She gives Zack a small nod. "Shall we continue?"
"Of course."

Angela is something else, honestly. Her work is amazing and finding out how she ended up working here is something even I couldn't make up, she has a creative side thats for sure.
"Your fathers interest in technology being used in labs inspired me to create this." She shows me her technology.
"Wow." I stand in shock. "What do you call this?"
"This is the Angelator."
"Its all 3D?" I look at her from the system.
"Yeah, I can create different scenarios, facial construction, you name it."
"Interesting." I nod. "I'd love to see it in action."
"One day." She chuckles. "I think this is the first time you've looked happy to be here."
"Well, you know." I shrug.
"Angela, would you be alright staying with Carter while I talk to Booth?" Brennan quickly cuts in.
"Sure, I'll babysit the new guy." Brennan leaves, I can feel her eyes on us. "So, what was the 'you know' all about?"
"Everyone wants to talk about one thing with me." I roll my eyes.
"Your dad?"
I sigh, nodding slowly.
"Scared of not living up to his name?"
I turn to face her, leaning on the desk. She is good at reading people.
"How did you know?"
"I'm pretty good at reading people."
"I can tell." I chuckle softly. "You're right."
"I'm also kind of...spiritual, I talk to psychics, tarot cards, so I believe energy kinda shows."
"Thats actually interesting." I frown slightly. "My energy tells you things?"
"Well, not everything...but I can tell you're nervous even though you aren't showing it, it's overwhelming that everyone here expects you to be like your dad...sorry I'm rambling."
"No, go on."
"What about your mom?"
"She's a sweet woman." I grin. "She was a neurosurgeon, gentle, she would give you the shirt off her back if you asked."
"Is she still around?"
"Oh, yeah. That woman doesn't look her age at all." I laugh. "You would think having a stressful job would age a person, but not her."
"You guys are close huh?"
"My wife thinks I'm what they call a 'mamas boy', I take her for dinner on Sundays. We catch up on things, she sees the kids every Tuesday and Friday."
Angela goes silent, studying me closely. She just smiles as if she understands what I'm saying.
"Your wife, you guys alright?"
"She doesn't work anymore, I don't mind." I sigh. "I come home to a clean house, kids are happy, she's...relatively happy."
"I'm sure you guys can figure it out."
"I'm sure of that."
"Carter, hate to interrupt but we need you to go with Booth and Brennan...we have a body." Camile pops in.

First case, here we go.