"You, okay?" she asked me, looking at me with concern.

I nodded, faking a smile. She didn't fall for it but didn't press me further.

"I'm here if you need me." She stood up and within the minute, the game was finished, and we were back in my car.

"Matt, where did you need dropping off?" I asked him as I made my way to Ruby's house.

"My car is at the diner, so there is good if possible." He replied politely. I nodded and dropped him off first. He kissed Ruby's cheek and got into his car. Ruby blushed and kept a secretive smile plastered on her face for the rest of the journey.

I dropped Ruby off at her house. Her mother was already by the door, with a stern expression. I smiled at her as she began apologizing up the driveway. Ruby's mother was a kind woman and the split image of Ruby. She had six children and had to try at least to keep them in line, but Ruby never helped herself. She waved to me, and I gave a smile and waved back before pulling off.

Once we were alone, the atmosphere was very thick.

"Want me to drop you home?" I asked, hoping to kill the awkward silence.

"Do you hate me, Autumn? I mean I know we didn't exactly get along when we were younger, but I don't know. I felt something with you in the library yesterday."

"I don't hate you but you did make my life miserable so I wouldn't say we're friends. Besides you are my cousin-"

"Not really." He mumbled.

I stopped the car with a screech. "What the hell does that mean?" I almost yelled at him.

"Autumn, we are meant to be. Obviously, you don't know but you will soon enough. I am meant to be with you, sexually."

"Get the fuck out of my car." I was furious with how the smirk settled on his face.

"One day, my love." He got out of the car and began walking up the road. I had a sudden urge to run him over.

I groaned, smacking my hands on the steering wheel, and heading home. I didn't care enough to make sure he got home safe. I parked in the driveway and was immediately flattened by a black shadow.

"Gale, I'm here." I giggled as she licked my face and I struggled to push her off me before getting up and walking inside. The kitchen light was on, and mum was standing icing cupcakes.

"Hey, how was your night?"

I sat down on one of the stools and began explaining the night from the bowling to the weird encounter with Greyson.

"Doesn't he understand how weird it is to have a thing for your cousin?" I asked shaking off the creeps.

"Seems you're right, he hasn't changed. But I would quickly put it to one side because we are actually going to see them tomorrow."

"Which is why you're making cupcakes?" she nodded. Mum would always bake when she was stressed.

She put down the piping bag and turned to me, sighing.

"Autumn, I think there's something you should know."

Her face became solemn, and she led me into the living room. She sat me down and began pacing up and down the room.

"Mum, please just say it." She took a deep breath and sat on the chair in the corner of the room. Nightingale wandered in and laid on the floor between us.

"You remember when I told you how I adopted you?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I was just a baby and my family abandoned me in a box outside of town."

She shook her head, "No, Autumn. Your family wanted to keep you so badly and they fought for you when people tried to take you away. They died protecting you."

I looked at her confused. I never hated the choice my family made; I have a great life now.

"Who was trying to take me? What is so special about me?" She moved and sat beside me on the sofa.

"Autumn, there's lots I can't tell you yet but so many things I want to. Tomorrow may be the last time we spend together. Just know I did everything to protect you because you are more than you know." I watched as tears formed in her eyes and I could tell how serious this was. I was scared.

"I love you, Autumn." She wrapped her arms around me and sobbed silently. I wrapped myself around her, limiting the space between us, and began crying too.

"I love you, Mum."

AN: Vote and comment, please. Happy reading!