13: His Wives' Permission

Tengen Uzui was considered many things by those who knew him well, including being a skilled and flamboyant member of the Demon Slayer Corps.

However, while he may have been known for his extravagant lifestyle and boisterous personality, one thing that he was certainly not considered was a cheating, backstabbing, or conniving husband.

Despite his reputation as the flashy Sound Hashira, Tengen made it clear to his wives - Suma, Makio, and Hinatsuru, that honesty, loyalty, and respect were paramount in any relationship. He wanted them to understand that his devotion to them would be unwavering, and that he would always strive to be a faithful and trustworthy partner.

It was already late in the evening, the sky painted with the warm hues of a setting sun, when Tengen bid his farewell to Inomi and made his way back home. With every step he took, the shadows grew longer, casting a tranquil ambiance around him.

Upon sliding the shoji open, his wives, their eyes sparkling with curiosity and affection, were gathered in the cozy living room, waiting eagerly for his return. And before he could even make himself feel at home, they bombarded him with a whirlwind of questions, eager to know what went down in Yoshiwara and about (Name).

"So, were you able to find her?" Suma was the first to ask.

Tengen sighed softly and gave a small smile, before closing the door.

"Yeah."

There was a long silence as Suma, Hinatsuru, and Makio each shared questionable glances at each other.

"Well..?" Makio broke the silence, gesturing for him to give them more than one simple answer.

Tengen only cocked his head slightly as he arched a brow. "Well, what?"

"What happened?" Hinatsuru asked. "Were you able to talk to her?"

"And did you tell her how you felt?" Suma inquired.

Tengen idly pulled his bejeweled headband off his head─the train of jewels running down from his headband swayed as he made himself comfortable whilst running a hand through his sliver locks and scratching his scalp.

He was clearly stalling to give them an answer.

"Tengen-sama!" Suma whined.

"Hm?"

"Talk to us. What happened between you two?"

"Yeah, did she rejected you or something?" Questioned Makio.

Once again, Tengen hesitated before finally settling himself down in an attempt to gather his thoughts. Suma, Hinatsuru, and Makio felt their patience wearing thin, their annoyance bubbling beneath the surface as they waited for an explanation from their husband. Sensing their building frustration, Tengen took a moment to compose himself, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath before telling them.

""Alright," he began cautiously, his voice tinged with apprehension, "I'll tell you what happened, but promise me you won't get mad at what it is I'm about to say."

The weight of his words hung in the air, causing the three women to exchange concerned glances, their brows furrowed with worry. Uncertainty clouded their expressions, each wondering what revelation was about to unfold. Their collective gaze returned to their husband, a silent agreement passing between them as they nodded in unison, signaling their readiness to hear the truth, no matter how difficult it may be.