71. I taste you on my tongue

Start from the beginning

Loki shrugged. 

Mobius smiled a little wider. When he began explaining, he earned Loki's utter and complete interest. It was only after he finished explaining to Loki about Valentine's Day did Loki's expression shift from fascination to something resembled boredom. 

"Not to your liking, Highness?" Mobius teased, loading a forkful of salad in his mouth.

Loki shrugged again. 

Mobius chuckled. He went back to reading his magazine, murmuring to himself, the words only loud enough for Loki to hear, "I don't peg you as a romantic type,"

"You don't?" Loki almost sounded... offended. Almost.

Mobius halted his motion, before shifting his gaze upward and at Loki again. "Are you?"

"Am I..."

"A romantic type?"

Loki opened his mouth, no words came out. And Mobius thought maybe he imagined it, but he was nearly certain Loki was blushing.

"No, of course not." Loki said, then, "Excuse me," he hurried away, leaving Mobius alone with his precious salad and his beloved jet ski magazine.

~~~

"I'm a God," Loki said later that day, when he and Mobius were in his (Mobius's) cubicle. He still looked a bit annoyed. "I don't do Valentine's."

"I know," Mobius signed another tedious paperwork without really looking up to meet his eyes.

"What's the point? It's a waste of time," The Trickster went on.

"I agree," Mobius turned another page, before landing his pen on the x mark where his signature was required.

Loki watched him work. He should be working, too, but Mobius was doing an excellent enough job for two, and Loki had something else on his mind, anyway.

"Have you ever... I don't know, participated?"

"Participated... in what?" Mobius looked at him now. Now he seemed confused.

Loki groaned, like he didn't want to directly say it, but Mobius was leaving him no choice. "These... romantic stuff. Valentine's." He said. "Have you ever had a Valentine?"

Mobius looked at him. He was silent for a few seconds. Loki wished he could predict what Mobius was thinking, but Mobius could be hard to read sometimes. "I've been a Time Agent for as long as I remember, and as long as I remember, it's me and my work every February 14th,"

"So you're not planning on putting yourself out there?"

The look on Mobius's face right now, was as though Loki was growing a second head. "I'm too old for this romantic, dating stuff," he said, after another short pause, before going back to his work.

"That's such bullshit,"

"Maybe it is, maybe it is not. But I'd rather leave these stuff to, I don't know, the youth. Like yourself."

"I'm a thousand-year-old God,"

"Well, that's true. Your twin's also a thousand-year-old Goddess, and she's currently planning her date night with B-15,"

"She's a softie," Loki rolled his eyes. "She likes to make people think she's tough, but she's actually a softie. Anyway, we're not talking about Sylvie or her love life. We're talking about you."

"I'm an old man, Loki. Why are you suddenly interested in whether or not I plan on getting laid?"

"Because..." There it was again, that tint of redness blooming across Loki's face. He was blushing, and this time it was more visible than the last time at the cafeteria. "You know what," Loki cut himself off. "Never mind." He quickly scurried off, leaving Mobius with his paperwork.