Chapter 11: back in the wind

I didn't forget to retrieve my phone. No missed calls, no messages. I boarded the morning train and made it back just in time for school.

I used the train ride to calm down. Once I was back at school, no one could tell that I had been kidnapped and not slept a wink. The only obvious giveaway was the small cut Stain had made near my ear, but it was easy enough to cover with my hand, pretending to touch my ear in a girly way.

I had considered visiting Recovery Girl but that would have made it obvious I hadn't been able to treat the wound myself, which would lead to questions I didn't want to answer. Midoriya had mentioned that if her smooch required more energy than your body had, then you would die. I was feeling tired and didn't want to risk it. I preferred having one sure way to die over two, thank you very much.

Bakugou and Todoroki received the most offers, and I received one. Just like he had promised.

"And what are you doing here at this hour, young hero?"

I looked up. It was Best Jeanist. I got up immediately. I had no answer though. Only questions.

"How do you know who I am?"

"Of course I know who you are. A lot of us heroes were notified of your existence, despite your absence from the sports festival."

"I am honoured. May I ask who is behind such a scheme?"

He hesitated until he finally admitted: "Gojo Satorou."

I knew it! I knew he was involved in this mess somehow! But I had to keep my composure, for everybody's sake. I was starting to think uncle wanted to protect me. It just seemed that he was, once again, living my life for me, which I didn't appreciate, especially after I had told him that I don't appreciate him doing that.

"I actually would like to inform you," the pro hero started, "that I will send you an offer for you to come to my agency for the internship. It seems like you're in dire need of some... correction. Before it's too late."

I believe I knew exactly what he was hinting at. The possibility that I could end up with a personality as lousy as Satorou's was strong, considering how much time we have spent together.

"Thank you so much, sir!" I said with a bow.

"It's not my place to tell you what to do in your personal life, but I think you should have a talk with your uncle. Make sure that you talk things over with him to avoid any misunderstandings. You need him."

We were finally deciding our hero names today. Since we'd be working with pros and stuff.

Eraser Head decided to sit this one out. And the person to help us was... Midnight, for no reason.

I had already decided on my hero name a while ago. It was only fitting.

Wind hero: Breeze

I got the OK. My absolute favourite was indisputably Lord Explosion Murder.

After classes were over, I tried to contact my uncle but apparently, he was busy. I left him a message saying that I was fine and that my little expedition of Hosu also went well. 'Well' as in I didn't die. But I didn't add that. Looking back maybe I should have. It could have aroused some urgency in him.

I noticed Bakugou walk past me. I skipped to reach him.

"Thank you for winning at the sports festival. I admire that you kept your word," I lovingly added.

He looked away for a bit, grabbed my wrist, and said, in his usual aggressive tone: "Walk with me for a bit."

"Uh, okay." I quickened my pace to keep up with him.

As soon as he was certain I was following him, he let go of my wrist but didn't say a word.

We walked in silence until we had to part ways. He had this "fine, I'll do it now then" look on his face.

With that expression he asked me: "Are you sure you're okay?"

"What do you mean?" I tried to smile it off, feign cluelessness.

"I saw that scar, and I noticed that you're more tired than usual."

Something snapped inside of me.

"Well, everything isn't fine, but it's not like I can really talk about it, so I don't know what sort of response you're expecting from me."

I stared at him with fierce seriousness. He stared back at me.

"Aish, whatever," he said as he turned around and walked off. I stared back at him, my scarf flowing in the wind.