Chapter 13: An Urgent Deadline

Începe de la început

But a familiar voice asks, "If I find out about... what, dear Briar?"

The group turns their heads in a panic to see Dire Crowley is standing before them with his arms crossed and despite wearing the mask, he has a disapproving and furious expression on his face.

Ace panics, "Ah! Headmage Crowley...!"

But Crowley wakes up to them and angrily scolds them, "YOU. ALL. AGAIN. What have you done this time?!"

"Myaaah... Everything's spinning..." Grim replies, still dizzy from the event.

Crowley continues scolding them, Burning a statue wasn't enough for you? Now you've destroyed a chandelier?! Enough. All of you are expelled."

"Whaaaaaaaaa?!" Ace and Deuce exclaim in shock.

Briar and the girls are stunned to hear the mess that has happened. Now they're going to be expelled from the school.

But Decue panics, "Headmage, please! Give me a second chance! I can't get expelled from this school! I need to be here!"

"Then blame yourself for your own foolish behavior," Crowley says.

Then Deuce says, "I'll pay for the damages! How much it costs!"

"The chandelier is not a light fixture. It is a magical chandelier. It's candles are powered by a magical energy source, enchanted so that they will burn for eternity. It was created for us by a legendary artificer. Possibly their finest creation. It has been here since the school was established, and I imagined it would be here forevermore. Considering its historical value, I would estimate its worth to be no less than a billion thaumarks. And you intend to repay that sum?

"A... A billion marks?!" Deuce says, shocked.

Sereia says, "That's a lot of money."

"A lot of money. Chandeliers are very expensive depending on the craftsmanship. It must be very well made and from what Crowley said, it's very valuable." Briar says to Sereia.

Ace nervously rubs the back of his head, "B-but I'm sure with your magical talent, sir, you would snap your fingers to fix it right up!"

"I don't think it's that simple, Ace," Briar says, shaking her head.

Then she turns to the chandelier, "The chandelier is badly damaged, so I suspect it must take a lot of magic."

"Briar is correct. Even magic has its limits. Furthermore, it's magestone - the figurative heart of any magical artifact - is cracked, " Crowley says.

"A magestone? What's that?" Briar asks.

Crowley then explains, "The magestone is a special stone that has magical qualities. They are used to help light up the candles on the chandeliers and can be used for other methods."

He sighs and adds, "A magestone cannot easily be replaced. I fear the candles of this majestic chandelier will never burn again."

"This is bad..." Ace sadly says.

Then Decue sadly says to himself, "What am I going to do?! How am I going to tell my mother...?"

Just then, Trinket begins to talk and motions her hands. She points to the chandelier, and brings out some tools she has in a bag made of leaves.

"Uh what's your fairy friend saying?" Ace asks.

"I think Trinket is saying that she can try to fix the chandelier and the magestone," Briar suspects.

Trinket nods her head.

"That is generous of you, young Tinker Fairy, but I'm afraid it's not an easy fix, especially for one as small as you," Crowley says.