Chapter 4

A/N:Thank you all so much for reading/reviewing. I love hearing from you all even though I'm bad at responding back. It's been a crazy couple of days. 4 tornadoes hit within 20 miles of me, and one of our little towns here in IL was demolished. Thankfully, no one I knew was hurt.

I'd also like to give a huge thanks to my beta, Heather, for her mad beta'ing skills.

...................................................

"Homecoming is on Friday," I told Edward as I talked to him one evening.  I'd been afraid that once school started, we wouldn't keep in touch as much, but that fear had been unfounded.  If anything, we talked more and kept each other up to date on what was going on at school and in our lives.

I kept in touch with Alice just as much, and Emmett and I spoke and emailed occasionally, but Edward was the one person to whom I constantly talked.

"Are you going?" he asked me, and I shook my head even though he couldn't see me.

"It's not my thing.  I mean, I might go to the game, but I'm not going to the dance.  That would require me to not only wear a dress but to attempt to dance to music that I can't stand."

Edward let out a laugh.  

"Yeah, our homecoming is next week and knowing Alice, I'll be forced to attend."

"Are you asking anyone to go with you?" I asked him, hoping that he'd say no and then berating myself for thinking that.  I had no claims on Edward, and it would be stupid of me to be jealous if he did go to a school dance with someone.

"Nah," he said, and I held back a sigh of relief.  "I'm not interested in any of the girls that go to my school."

It was on the tip of my tongue to ask if there was anyone who didn't go to his school that he was interested in, but I was afraid of what he'd say.

"Are things any better with that Jake character?" Edward asked a few minutes later.

I'd told him all about how Jake had said he'd wanted me back and how he'd been relentless since the first day of school.  I'd told Jake no a thousand times, and I was so freaking close to seeing if I could file a restraining order against him for being a harassing douchebag.

"No," I said with a growl.  "It's almost gotten worse, and Leah and her friends are constantly shooting me dirty looks and talking crap about me.  I don't know what to do anymore."

"Talk to your dad," Edward suggested.  "He might have some ideas.  If not, talk to the principal."

"I know I should, but I'm afraid that will just make things worse.  It's not like Jake is stalking me at home or when I'm in town.  The only time I see him is at school."

"Well, I worry about you," Edward said, and my heart skipped a beat.  "I just want you to be safe."