9. a walk on a short bridge.

Börja om från början

"this bridge means a lot to me cause of him. we'd ride our bikes here and talk about the stupid shit that kids did. guess it doesn't seem so stupid now, though." elliot's voice cracked and he hoped it was rain on his face.

milani retracted her hand and spoke hoarsely. "i'm sorry." had he been able to pass his emotion onto her?

elliot became upset when he realized there weren't raindrops on his face but a different kind of liquid.

he wiped his tears and cleared his throat.

"it's fine," elliot knew if milani was aware of his drug use, she'd ask if that's why he started. in all honesty, he doesn't know. he'd been around substances his whole life but they never seemed as appetizing until after that instance.

elliot changed the subject, "tell me about your parents?" it was more of a question than statement.

after a beat elliot thought she wouldn't say anything but with a heavy sigh he knew she was preparing herself.

"my mom and dad were high school sweethearts, not really sure how sweet they were together, though. they married young and had my older sister young, too. about five years after having her they had me, and that's around the same time my mom started using." she laughed bitterly, "can't tell you what that means for our relationship but.."

elliot wasn't sure what that meant, either.

"so yeah, a few years after she started using she had my brother. i could always tell when she was high, or wasn't doing well. everyone could but there was a difference in the way i could. it's probably why i choose to be so hyperaware now."

elliot felt guilty for being another person in her life with a substance issue. but, he didn't know how he could stop for her. or be better for anyone, not even himself.

"as we got older, my mom and dad fought about it more. something everyone noticed, as well. eventually, arguing led to their demise."

the boy loved hearing her talk. even about something so devastating to her, it was relieving.

she let out a breath, "for about two years, me and my siblings stayed with my aunt and uncle. mo was doing her best to get us out of there, though. she didn't want us depending on anyone. especially since they saw us as more of a burden than anything."

that seemed to explain the math elliot had been trying to figure out since monique would've been about seventeen at the time of their parents deaths.

"so yeah,"

elliot felt like his stomach was turning. but he couldn't tell if it was the emotion or something else. when was the last time he ate something?

"thanks for sharing, elly." milani muttered out after a moment of silence.

"you too, mel." elliot responded while feeling milani lay her head on his shoulder.

"mel?" she questioned.

he nodded, "yeah, it's the name i've come up with for you."

"that doesn't make sense though because my name is mil-ani not mel-ani, it would make more sense to call me mil." she pointed out the "obvious" pronunciation.

milani could feel him rolling his eyes, "i guess that's where we're different, princess."

elliot felt extremely corny for calling her that and milani felt even cornier for liking it.

she intertwined their hands and elliot pressed a kiss to them, "i guess so." milani mumbled.

elliot hummed, "thanks for listening, mel."

"right back at you, elly."

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
two more people follow me challenge (begging ass i know)

but i kind of like this chapter?!

i don't know how much they'll expand on elliot's character, therefore i wanted to incorporate some of my own ideas. so much death though, yikes!

btw, this is the bridge they're on:

i'm mourning rules rn so i wanted to also add a little piece of them :(

anyway, please vote and interact xoxo <3