CHAPTER EIGHT

Hermione sat at the table with Slughorn and her peers. She stared at her bowl of overflowing ice cream. She hardly made a dent. The conversations around the dinner table bored her. The only thing that has excited her lately was Draco. She thought about the kiss. She had to quickly distract herself before she got too into it. She caught Cormac making eyes at her across the table a few times. He turned her infatuation into disgust as he licked his fingers and winked at her.

She looked down trying her best not to look at him again for the rest of the night. Luckily Ginny Weasley walked in catching everyone's attention. Especially Harrys. She was envious of their relationship. Or the little they had of a relationship. She wished she could be more open about Draco without worrying about her best friends hating her for the rest of her life.

***

The next day was Monday and Hermione felt like she couldn't wait to finish classes so she could meet Draco. She sat at the Gryffindor table for dinner and started making herself a plate. She expected to see Ron there but she guessed he was off with Lavender. They had gotten extremely close lately. It was the kind of puppy love she couldn't stand to see. She was relieved they weren't there that evening.

"So who are you taking to the Christmas party, Hermione?" Harry asked.

"I hadn't thought about it." That was a lie. Most of the time she imagined she'd go with Draco, but that was far too risky.

"Neither have I." Harry seemed didn't seem desperate by all means. He didn't think it was that important to have a date.

"Well, I gotta run. I'll see you later." Hermione stood up about to make her way out of the Great Hall.

"Oh, that's right. Another study date with Malfoy huh? Try not to get hexed!"

She ignored him and went for the door. She wondered why Harry was so hung up on that. Draco was already in the library getting a head start on his homework. He was trying to impress her. She walked in and touched his shoulder letting him know she was there. He already knew. He could somehow feel her presence and he memorized the sound of her footsteps.

"Still on for this Saturday are we Granger." he already made the plans.

"I didn't know that was arranged." She admired his forwardness. "Besides, I can't that night. That's Slughorns Christmas party." Another attempt to get her alone has been spoiled by that blasted teacher.

"You're going?" Draco was kind of disappointed he didn't get an invitation. He was doing fairly well in his class now thanks to her help.

"Well of course. I can't pass up an opportunity like that.

"Has anyone asked to go with you yet?"

"Actually, I was thinking about taking you." Her comment made his face light up. "But that would be absurd." when she laughed it broke his heart a little.

"Yeah? Why's that?"

"Harry's my best friend."

Draco raised his eyebrows not seeming to follow. "So?"

"So?!" she was irritated that he didn't understand. "He hates you and he would hate me too if I showed up with someone like you."

"Someone like me?" he frowned. "And what exactly is that supposed to mean Granger?"

She hated that she had to explain it to him. "Harry's under the impression that you're a Death Eater."

what she had said made his heart sink. He couldn't think what to say next. He couldn't tell her about that. Especially not after the other night. He was starting to care about her and if she found out it would crush her. She would never trust him again.

He let out a forced laugh. "That's ridiculous." He was relieved when she didn't talk about it any further.

"So who are you going with?" This question felt more important than the Death Eater talk.

"Actually, Cormac McLaggen asked me before I got here." she didn't want to tell him but she couldn't to lie to him.

"You said yes?" Draco was upset. "How could you say yes to a twat like that?"

Hermione knew he was the jealous type. She didn't want him to worry. He didn't have anything to worry about at all. She only said yes because it was a requirement to take a date.

"He was the first person to ask me." She started to lean over the table and got close to his face. "Don't worry Draco, I'll be wishing it was you the whole night." She got closer and kissed him. It was short but she took a second to back up. She wondered what the hell she was thinking. Something about him made her want to break all the rules.

"I guess we will have to see about that then won't we." He tried to play it cool. He couldn't believe that she kissed him first this time. All he could think about was pushing everything off the table and taking her right there in the library. He managed to control himself before she spoke again.

"Let us start with charms." they both opened their books. Usually, she helped him to focus but today was different. His eyes would wander from her lips and down her neck to her chest. He would quickly look away every time she caught him. A part of him felt bad about what he would have to do to her in the end. He worried about that ever since they started getting close. He thought about what she would do if she ever found out or if he ever had to tell her. That was a day he hoped wouldn't come for a long time. It would eventually though.

After a couple of hours of studying. Hermione gathered her things to leave. She never stayed long to chat after the work was done. She couldn't let herself get close to him, Death Eater or not. She made a vow to help Harry since her first year at Hogwarts. He couldn't lose his trust. She promised to stay by his side until the end.