CHAPTER FOUR

Draco woke up feeling more refreshed than he had in several weeks. He felt the bliss of waking up from a good night's rest without the goddamn nightmares. He had breakfast on his mind and sure enough Hermione too. He brushed that off as he got ready, thinking nothing of it. He told himself he would forget about it by the end of the day. That was a lie.

He spent all of his classes avoiding her. He would've just skipped if he could. It was torcher and he hated himself. He hated his brain for even thinking thoughts so vile. He tried to block out any thought of the sort. He even considered a spell to make him forget, but he didn't want to obliviate himself. He didn't know what that would make him forget. He wasn't too great with spells anyway. He was always keen on curses and hexes. Those didn't take as much thought, or as much talent. Charms made him like an idiot. He could never get them just right.

Evening rolled around and he made his way to the library for the second time that week. Sure enough, she was there. Who was he kidding, she was ALWAYS there. Studying away. As if she needed it. He decided he couldn't afford that kind of distraction today and sat at a table far away from her. A table close to the door. Convenient if he needed to make a quick getaway.

He managed to finish three assignments that night before burning out. He was impressed with himself. He was finding his focus again. Doing schoolwork was like a safe haven for him. He covered up his stress with a different kind. It was nearly midnight and he decided to called it a night. As he was collecting his belongings he caught her eye. Of course, he thought. Of course, she had to ruin his (barely) successful day of not thinking about her. He looked down at his books for only a second as she walked past. He couldn't help to look up as she left out the door. He focused on her backside. She wasn't wearing a robe today just a shirt and skirt. he looked her up and down. He stared for a little too long at the skin where her stockings ended and her skirt began. He was staring until she was well down the hallway. He caught the attention of some third-year Hufflepuff girls who were giggling and whispering to each other. Great, just what he needed. Gossip.

He was quick with the sleeping spell as soon as he got to his bed. He didn't bother to change into pajamas. He was exhausted. His mind was exhausted. Sometimes he hoped he'd have a brain hemorrhage just to end the misery.

***

The next morning he woke up groggy although he had gotten over eight hours of sleep. He had found he knew his favorite spell. No dreams, just sleep.

He almost felt happy today which he hadn't felt since his second year when he made the quidditch team. Though that was more pride than joy.

He was excited to have a good day for once. he was embracing the serotonin he felt from finally catching up on sleep. It was Friday and he was looking forward to the weekend. He was going to use it to relax. Maybe study a bit but mostly take some time for himself.

Nothing could ruin this day. Not even the intrusive thoughts he got once in a while about that sassy brunette. His hopeful thoughts stopped too soon when Professor McGonagall stopped him in the hall on his way to potions. She asked him to come with her. He followed her into her office wondering what he could've possibly done to get himself into trouble. He couldn't think of one thing.

Her office was already preoccupied with another student sitting by her desk. It was Hermione. Of course it was. The person he has been trying to avoid always makes her way into his routine. What was she doing here? McGonagall gestured him to sit down next to her.

"Professor Snape had told me about your struggles this year. I took it upon myself to get you a tutor." Hermione looked the least bit impressed as she sat there looking as if she had something better to do.

"You've hardly made a dent in your missing work and id simply blame myself for you getting expelled if I didn't intervene." She looked as if she cared about his well being which was something he hadn't seen before.