Prologue

A/N: This story is written exclusively in NovelStar. If you liked the novel, you can head over to the app and read the rest. :)

-----------

Prologue

When I was a kid, I used to hear fables and tales about the history of wolves. That they were the most majestic and powerful creatures on land. Their speed and strength were incomparable to that of a human.

I have always admired them when I was a kid and have always dreamed of becoming one until I reach the right age to morph. Here in the Strigon pack, we are a family of werewolves. The legendary strong beast men from the stories that we hear and used to fear. I was a proud member of that pack and even dominated most of my peers when it comes to speed.

I aspired to become the first female Beta of the pack when I was of the right age. I know that it was going to be hard considering that the name Strigon is one of the top and original Pack in this realm.

If only speed and physical strength were the case then it wouldn't be a problem.

As soon as I reached the age of 13 - the age where most of the teens at my age began to morph - it all changes.

During the first full moon of every month, every kid in town would gather in the town square as a sort of old tradition to morph together. I remembered the nervous looks of the kids in town that day because there are special cases wherein a kid doesn't morph. I heard that it has something to do with their impure bloodline that probably has a mix of human blood. Although it was common these days, it still doesn't prevent discrimination from the other kids.

Me? I was pretty confident with myself that day. I showed agility and strength at an early age, which is a sure sign that I wasn't going to be human.

But when the full moon shone brightly up in the sky and all the kids around me screamed in pain as they began their morphing process, my heart died inside. I watched in envy as they all grew their tails, claws, and snouts. Fangs protruded from their teeth and glorious fur emerged from their bodies while I just stood there with envy.

As they finished their process, I was the only one who was standing. I was the only one who did not morph. I was a human and a dud. I was a disgrace to the pack. My blood wasn't pure, and me not being able to become a werewolf is proof of that.

I was alone and began to isolate myself because of all the dirty looks that I got from my other peers. I was embarrassed. All of my talents were wasted because I could never be what I wanted.

A proud beta that would protect the pack from danger.

But during the next month, a miracle - or should I say a curse - happened.

One night I began to omit this weird smell that made me have a delirious fever. My body felt hot and my arms and legs felt constricted. My throat burned and purred that it was suffocating. As I rolled on my bed, I remembered dropping to the floor and gazing up at the new moon that seemed to lure me in. Something within me snapped as I let out a scream.

I can't recall what happened to me that day, but my mom told me that when she found me I had already finished morphing.

But the form that I took wasn't a werewolf. It was huge and strong like one but to me, it was a birth of a bad omen.

In the fables and legends that I hear there was once a legend that foretold the end of one of the original packs. A creature of the night with fur as dark as night and alluring yellow eyes that can see through the dark. It is said that when it appears, it will it is going to destroy everything.

The child of the devil that lives in the dark. A shadow that stalks the pack will one day become its downfall.

A Shadow among the Pack