But sometimes, that's all someone knows how to do.

When Whizzer woke up, Marvin hadn't left. He was now sitting in the chair next to Whizzer's bed, still reading.

"What time is it?" Whizzer asked quietly. His voice was raspy, and his eyes were barely open.

"Almost 7 pm. You slept for awhile, I was worried. Are you feeling well enough to eat tonight?"

"Yeah. Can you see if Cordelia can bring soup?"

"Of course, baby."

Marvin stood up and went to find a phone, returning a few minutes later.

"She'll be here in an hour." He smiled at his lover, and laid by his side.

The hour passed quickly. Marvin and Whizzer spent most of it watching TV.

There was a gentle knock at the door. "Hiii..." Cordelia said softly as she opened the door. "I brought soup, as requested. How're you feeling, Whiz?"

"Fine."

Fine? He was nowhere close to fine. Whizzer was dying, his birthday was tomorrow, and he felt like he was taking a walk through hell. Whizzer Brown was not fine.

"Good to hear." Cordelia said. Whizzer sat up in his bed as Cordelia brought him his food.

Soup. Chicken noodle soup.

He loved Cordelia's soup, but having it every night for almost a month straight? It got exhausting. Sure, he had different food every now and then, but most nights, chicken noodle soup.

He smiled. He ate his food. He fell asleep.

He wished he were dead.

He dreamed that he was in high school again. He was with Marvin, and they were at the carnival, on a big ferris wheel. Marvin pulled Whizzer close when they got to the top, and they shared a kiss. How romantic...

He woke up to a rainy morning. Things felt fuzzy. What day was it...?

"Oh, shit."

He was thirty-six. Not officially until 5:27 pm, but technically, he was thirty-six, because that's how birthdays work.

He loved rainy days. What a perfect birthday present!

But he was alone.

So fucking alone!

He laughed softly.

The hours seemed to drone on as it got later and the rain got harder. Before he knew it, he lost all hope of even seeing his family. Who would want to celebrate a dying man's birthday anyways? Especially when it's probably his last...

Charlotte hadn't even came in to check up on him. Some other nurses did.

Whizzer was about to give up and just go back to sleep, when there was a knock at the door.

Guess who opened it?

Jason. Jason walked in with a big smile on his face.

"Whizzer, hey!"

Whizzer began to tear up as Jason walked over to him. Jason wrapped his arms around Whizzer for a hug and gave him a big old hug.

"Surprise!" He said, the rest of the group coming in. They were all holding presents, aside from Cordelia, who was holding food.

Whizzer weakly stood up and got out of his bed, making his way over to his family.

"Guuuuyyss...." He muttered. "You shouldn't have..."

"We had to. It'd be shitty not to." Cordelia said, placing the food on a table. Jason nodded.

"Yeah! Just because you're in the hospital doesn't mean you can't celebrate. Happy birthday, Whizzer." Jason hugged him again.

Marvin walked over to Whizzer and softly kissed him. "How're you feeling?" He asked.

Whizzed froze. He was not going to be honest.

"Better."

Lies are a special thing. Whizzer remembered being thirteen years old and staring in the mirror of his bathroom, his hair wet and floppy, a towel wrapped around his abdomen. I'll never lie to anybody I love, he told himself. Little did he know he was lying to himself about that. But did it really count? He said people he loved. So it's fine.

People surrounded him, but he still felt alone. The room felt dull, especially the pale, white walls. It wasn't a pleasant mixture, the depressing hospital and the rain and Whizzer's friends and family. It clashed horribly.

Whizzer was tired. He wanted to sleep, he wanted to be with Marvin and Jason, and he wanted to die all at the same time. If only he could do it all.

The noise of shuffling feet and the voices of his loved ones had been tuned out, he didn't want to hear it. His eyes had began to shut slowly, but he was broken from that trance when Jason tapped him gently.

"Whizzer, could you open my present? I really want you to see it."

"Of course." Whizzer replied with a smile. Was it a smile? He tried to smile. He knew it was a weak one, if anything.

Whizzer opened the box that Jason had handed him.

It was a photo, framed.

A photo of Whizzer, Jason, and Marvin.

Tears welled up in Whizzer's eyes. He pulled Jason close and hugged him tight, the way you're supposed to.

Whizzer laid back in his bed, his eyes fluttering shut.

He felt a hand in his, opened his eyes for just a second to see it was Marvin, and let them fall shut again.

He felt weightless as he slipped into deaths arms.

Happy Birthday, Whizzer.