Finding Each Other.

Start from the beginning

Anne's bloodshot-eyes finally wander over to me and her face crinkles into a watery smile.

"Oh, Cass! It's such a pleasure to see you, despite the circumstances," Anne wraps her arms around me and I return a small smile.

"You too, Mrs. Waters. How-how is she?" I stumble on my words, a little afraid to ask.

"She, she lost a lot of blood. She hit her head, the doctors, they're, uh, operating, stopping the blood flow. She broke some bones. We're just-just waiting to hear some news," she quickly says, the words obviously paining her. Anne has scrapes and bruises from the accident, but looks more in pain for her daughter than anything.

Alex's face has gone pale and he sits down, head in his hands.

"I'm going to find William, I'll be back kids," Anne gently says, hurrying off. She most likely didn't want us to see her crying.

I sit down next to Alex, placing a hand on his back. "Hey, Alex, don't worry," I try to reassure him, but even I don't believe my voice. He looks up at me, those blue eyes tearing up and my heart pangs for him.

"You heard my mom. What if she doesn't make it? How will-"

"That's worst situation. What is your worrying and stressing going to get you? Nothing. All we can do now is wait, pray and hope," I try to tell him as calmly as possible.

We sit in silence for a moment, gathering our thoughts, and then Alex sighs.

"Cass, what are you doing here?" He asks, turning to me. He looks tired.

Upset, worried, but mostly just tired.

"What do you mean? I couldn't just let you go alone. And you know I love Soph," I state, as if it were obvious.

Okay, sure, maybe Alex and I weren't in a fantastic place right now, but I wasn't going to just abandon him when he needed someone.

I wasn't that selfish.

Something in Alex's face flashes, and he just gives me a curt nod.

"I'm going to get some coffee, do you want anything?" I offer, standing up.

He shrugs. "Just a coffee to, I guess."

I quickly hurry away, the tension dispersing.

I buy two coffees from downstairs and go back to the waiting room, where Alex is still sitting down, rubbing his eyes. He looks at me as I sit down, and he has obviously been crying.

I wish I could do something to end his pain, but I guess all I could right then was be there for him.

I handed him the drink, sitting next to him as my thoughts wandered.

Alex being hurt like this...

it physically hurt me inside.

What hurt more is that I was also hurting him.

My efforts to push him away, to ignore and hurt him were obviously having some effect.

But I suppose some pain is necessary and time heals all wounds.

I just wish time would hurry the hell up.

*************************************************************************

I wake up to someone nudging me.

"Huhmr?" I mumble, Alex's face coming into focus.

"You fell asleep on my shoulder, but you didn't look comfortable so I moved to my lap. You sleep okay?" He gives me a small smile.

"Yeah, thanks," I simply state, quickly getting up and running a hand thru my hair. "How is she?"

A relieved smile appears on Alex's face. "Thats why I woke you up. She's fine. All the bleeding stopped and she's resting right now."

The sick feeling in my stomach disappears and I sigh.

"That's great!" I exclaim, embracing Alex in a hug. I close my eyes, inhaling that familiar scent.

Rain & the forest.

I loved that smell, and I still did.

My stomach turns as I picture life without Alex completely and I slowly pull away from him, but our arms still rest on each other.

Our faces are inches apart and our breath mingles, along with the unsaid words that hang in the small space between us. I look into those blue eyes that speak volumes and the tension is so thick you would need a saw to cut it.

"Cass, Alex!"

William, Alex's dad, snaps us out of our reverie.

"Yeah, Dad, hey," Alex stands up, and I blink, following his actions.

Who knows what would have happened if William hadn't walked in?

Alex and I are an accident waiting to happen.

"Soph is awake and asking for you, Alex. You should go to, Cass, I'm sure she'll be happy to see you," William gives us a warm smile, sitting down.

We nod and hurry off to Sophie's room, walking in silence.

There are too many things to say.

Alex gives a small knock on the door and opens it.

At first, all I see is her red hair.

Sophie's skin is paler than usual, and she has cuts and bruises scattered on her body, and her arm is in a cast. Other than that, her eyes are bright and she's smiling.

"Alex! Cass!" Her high voice sings as she opens her good arm for a hug.

"Hey kiddo, how ya doing?" Alex murmurs, hugging her.

"I'm great, except this hospital food is yucky," she makes a face, causing us to laugh.

"I'll try to sneak you a happy meal, alright?" Alex winks.

"You'll be up and playing in no time," I nod, smoothing her curls.

"So," Sophie's green eyes shift between Alex and I. "Are you two married yet?"

I blush, laughing.

"Married? Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Soph," Alex wraps an arm around my shoulders and I tense. "Of course Cass wants to tie the knot, but I'm not sure. Maybe theres someone out there thats better for me."

Sophie blows a raspberry. "Cass could date a prince, if she wanted to, Alex. You're lucky," she wags a finger.

"I know," Alex grins, not even glancing at me. "I know."

We leave Sophie soon after, as she needs her rest and I excuse myself to go to the bathroom.

This whole... event snapped me out of the trance I had been ever since I had broken things off with Alex.

It made me realize that there were things bigger than Alex and I, that even when we stopped, the whole world continued.

And even though I said I didn't want Alex in my life, nor did I want to be a part of his, even I knew I was lying.

I would drop everything in a heartbeat for that boy.

And in the end, that's what hurt the most.

_________________________________________________________________

NOT EDITED