Chapter 26

Emma was shamelessly happy. Nothing could dampen her spirits, not even Amelia's wailed criticisms or temper tantrums. Her days were filled with stolen kisses, murmured 'love you's, coded love letters and passionate love-making.

Emma slowly tiptoed to the duchess chamber to do her daily routine. That is to spy on Nicholas doing his morning exercise.

He was exercising with sweat beads running down his well-chiselled chest and abs. Emma felt a mad urge to run her tongue over it. As though he knew his wife's thoughts he turned and smiled at her.

Emma gasped. No! He couldn't know she was hiding behind the curtain. She rushed to a chair and opened a book at random, just as the door opened and Nicholas walked in.

'What are you doing, my love?' he asked, his voice full of mirth.

'I am reading.'

'Upside down?'

Emma gasped and looked at her book, which was not upside down, 'It is not upside down!'

'Still, you had to look.'

She blushed and avoided looking at him.

'What were you doing by the curtains?'

'I was closing them.'

'So you could read better in the dark?'

Nicholas was having so much fun that he wasn't planning on showing her any mercy.

'I am just developing a new coding technique.'

'Continue dear, lest I disturb you.'

Emma hid behind the book not looking at him, she heard the door close. Sighing, she placed the book back. She was tempted just to peek a little. He won't notice if she was quick about it and hid well.

She edged to the curtain on all fours.

'Back to spying on the innocent man.. Tsk.. tsk.'

Emma gasped, realising Nicholas had never left the room. She hid behind the curtains.

'My love, I know you are behind the curtains,' he said, edging closer.

'I am sorry, I won't do it again.'

'Tsk.. tsk.. You won't do it again! I think you must be punished.'

He lunged for her, she squealed and ran away. He followed her, laughing as she was running exactly to the place he wanted her to be. He tackled her and both landed on the bed.

'Nicholas... I...' she faltered, desire clearly edged in her eyes. He bent down and captured her lips. This kiss was to claim her.

'I love you,' Nicholas said, as they both lay thoroughly sated.

'I love you too.'

'And dear, don't stop spying on me, I always like it when you do.'

'Always! You knew it all along?' she asked. Her voice muffled as she covered her face in embarrassment. He kissed her till she was no longer embarrassed.