Chapter 2 Swindler Swamp

Start from the beginning

She retrieved something behind her cloak and took out an extra handkerchief she has with her. She used it to wipe Leorio's sweat. 

"What are you doing? I told you, just leave me be. I don't want you getting left behind 'cuz of me." He cough at the process as he swat the girl's hand from his face.

With her lips drawn in a line, she muttered, "Yada..."

Leorio look up at her from gazing at the floor.

"Yada." She repeated with more vigor, "You are already my nii-san. And I will not leave my nii-san behind. Families... they don't leave each other behind, right?"

Leorio's eyes widen at her words. 'What was that? Was she for real?' The man couldn't believe of what he had heard from the girl. To be certain if he did not hear a buzzing fly in his ear to feed him with random words that just coincidentally formed those same words, he look straight in her eyes.

'Ahh...' His doubts crumbled apart at an incredible speed within seconds at seeing those eyes of her. Those were certainly not the eyes of someone who'd lie.

His mouth formed a trembling grin as he bent over to hide his sickly expression he refuse to show to the girl.

'Damn.' Leorio muttered in his head, 'This must be the very first time someone have actually thought of me as close as their family. And a brother at that too.'

Leorio felt his eyes water. He wanted to laugh. Howl at insurable feelings that he wanted to let out in joy. But deciding against at those action, he rested himself with a simple joyful grin.

He raised himself from his crouching form. He brought both his hand at his hip as he leaned back to inhale a long breath. He turn down at the girl who was looking at him in confusion. He patted her hooded head. With a cheshire smile, he said, "Arigatou, imōto."

Wide eye, Leorio may not know but those simple words brought a seeping warm gentle flood in her heart. She clench at her fast beating heart. Though confuse, this emotion, this emotion she's feeling right now, it was familiar. It was very familiar, something that she was taught before. Yes, it was an emotion she was taught by someone before.

It was happiness. An euphoria.

'Ah... Imōto... he called me imōto...' Giddiness. She felt giddy. A distant memory calling her the same title echoed in her head. And even with no knowledge of who that person from the other end of the side, her heart continued to flip flop in an unnatural beat that had her feeling warm. She held at her chest tightly, hoping to never let this fluttering warm feelings escape. Hoping for it to never slip past his hand and lost it. Afraid that she may forget this oh so tender warmth.

'Please... never take this happiness away from me... Onegai...'

Leorio look up to where the main group have vanished from. The girl sensing his overly too quiet nature followed his trail of sight when she also saw two male waiting before them. The main pack long gone from their view.

It was Gon and his new found friend, Killua.

The tall man furrow his eyebrow and knelt down at the floor confusing the girl. "Come." He called her.

Still confuse, she did not hesitate to take his hand. Leorio led her behind her back and with a surprise yelp, before the girl knew it, Leorio had piggy back ride her.

"Eh?" She uttered.

"Hold on tight imōto, cuz we're going on a blast!"

Still dumb founded at this weird position and still not getting what Leorio will do, she held Leorio's shoulder still following her brother's weird instruction.