Chapter 1: The Transfer

Disclaimer: I do not claim ownership over Nihonkoku Shoukan in any shape, way or form. Its just a creative sandbox for me.

Please consider joining my discord server for announcements and discussions for my stories.

https://discord.gg/NuRXePpH6j

***

5 kilometers off the Chilika Lake, Odisha; 12:20 pm, 2nd January 2019

The fishing boat 'Surya' was returning home with yet another successful trip to the sea, its crew had caught a great haul. The crew was in high spirits, as was its captain, Sharad.

'Ah, the feeling of joy when everything goes according to plan..." Sharad sighed. "I missed that so much. Such a shame my children and most of my grandchildren were easily seasick." He looked out of the window seeing some of his mates playing cards. He decided to join them, but as he was getting up, he stumbled back on his chair.

Agony, sheer agony. That was how he would describe the feeling later on as he was enveloped in seemingly mental pain and then the feeling vanished just as it had appeared. The world felt wrong, the sea felt wrong, his existence felt wrong.

It took a while for him to calm himself, as he rubbed his forehead. Something was wrong, he could feel it.

"The horizon..." The captain of the fishing boat whispered in amazement before rubbing his eyes and looking again. Something definitely was not right. He had never seen so far into the sea before, it was almost as if the horizon had shifted a few miles away from him.

"Hey, Sibu!" He radioed for his grandson. "You've studied science and stuff. Tell me, why would I see the horizon farther than it should be?"

"I dunno, maybe if the planet gets bigger out of nowhere. Or maybe you are drunk again." Sibu shrugged. "Why are you asking me that?"

The captain called for Sibu over the radio to get his butt to the bridge as fast as he can and handed him the binoculars. It took a while for him to come to terms with the fact that he could now see the horizon farther than what he was used to. It was a subtle difference, but it was there.

"I...I need to talk to my friends about this." Sibu took out his cellphone, only to find no signal on it. Frustrated, he put the phone back in his pocket and morosely peered out of the bridge. "Surely there's something wrong. Could we be hallucinating?"

His grandfather looked grim. "I have no clue, boy. I have been fishing for decades now, and I have never seen anything like this before. We are changing course. We need to get back to land as soon as possible. My gut says that something really big is about to happen. For now, let's just focus on getting home."

The Secretariat, Bhubaneswar

In the Chief Minister's Office, the tension was palpable in the conference room. The officers were nervous. While there was no doubt that their intelligence was right, it was a difficult concept to grasp. The entire state of Odisha vanishing, and appearing in a new world? 'Preposterous!' would be the first thought in the mind of anyone who hears it!

The officers stood up as Birju Patnayak, the Chief Minister of Odisha entered the room.

"Sit down, please have a seat." Birju got to business without wasting a moment of his time. "Explain the current situation. Krishnan, you are up first."

Krishnan Roy, one of the more capable officers under the CM's command stood up "Sir, we have lost contact with New Delhi. Not just that, all of our offices in other states are now incommunicado. We initially thought it had something to do with the cellphone network disruption that we have been facing, but after the landline and sat phones didn't work, we have reason to believe that it's something much worse."