06. A Home for a Cold Heart

Start from the beginning

This place was mine. Unquestionably, completely mine. And I could do anything I wanted with it.

With a broad smile on my face, I pushed open the arched window at the very top of the house. Wind tickled my face and I gazed out over the back garden. The grass was lush and green, buds of opening flowers were scattered everywhere, and a towering oak's leaves cast soothing shadows over the lawn. Beaming, I turned around and returned to the living room. There was now a slightly moth-eaten but oh-so-comfortable chaise longue standing against one wall. The walls had been painted in a cheerful (and appropriately inexpensive) blue. A freshly tuned (second hand) piano stood in one corner, and a framed piece of paper proclaiming "Home, Cheap Home" hung on the wall.

Beaming, I turned towards Karim. "What do you think?"

Karim's fingers twitched, as if he wanted to decapitate me with his sabre. Then he realized he was still holding the paint brush.

"It is certainly...unique."

"I know, right?" Spreading my arms, I twirled around, then dropped onto the sofa, snuggling into the moth-eaten upholstery. "Isn't it perfect?"

"I'm sure the moths would agree with you."

I glanced over at him. "I'm sensing a subtext there."

"Well..." Shifting, Karim glanced from left to right. "You wanted a home suitable for your family, Sahiba. Isn't all of this a bit...cheap?"

I cocked my head. "I'm Lillian Ambrose now, aren't I?"

The bodyguard looked around again. "I withdraw my previous statements. This is the perfect home."

"I'm so glad you agree!" Pushing myself up from the chaise longue, I made my way to the door. "Then let's share the good news, shall we?"

"Err...with whom?"

I cocked an eyebrow. "Whom do you think?"

Before Karim could flee the room, I grabbed hold of him and started dragging him towards the hotel.

***

"Hello there!"

Waving, I stuck my head into the room. Mr Ambrose raised his eyes from the documents he had been studying and scrutinized me closely.

"Where have you been, Mrs Ambrose? I haven't seen you since this afternoon."

I rolled my eyes. "Hello to you, too, dear. I'm so happy to see you again, dear."

He didn't budge an inch. "Hello to you too, dear. Now, where have you been?" His eyes narrowed infinitesimally. "And more importantly, what have you been up to?"

I put on a wounded look. "Why would you sound so suspicious of your dear wife?"

"Considering recent events?"

All right, that was just...a fair point, actually. Dammit!

"Well..." In a totally innocent manner, I started to fiddle around with the buttons of my dress.

My dear husband executed another microscopic narrowing of his eyes. "Yes?"

"Don't get upset, all right? It might sound damning, considering what happened the last time, but I promise it's something good."

"What. Are. You. Talking. About?"

"Ehem. Well...like I said. Don't misunderstand, all right? Here goes." I cleared my throat, and gave him my most cheerful smile. "I have a surprise for yo—"

"No!"

"Listen just a minute, I—"

"No! No more speeches!"